Strava now Officially Syncs with Garmin Connect!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BearPear

Veteran
I linked my Strava account to "our" Garmin which is in MrBP's name. The moment I did it I realised I had probably made a mistake - I expect to see his epic rides appear on my Strava feed, which will look awesome, if not entirely truthful (or indeed not truthful at all!)

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
Works fine for me!

Do enlighten us with what happens and timescales.

uclown2002

Guru
Do enlighten us with what happens and timescales.
Plug Garmin into Laptop; few minutes later it auto syncs with Garmin Connect via Garmin Express; 3-10 mins later the activity automatically appears on Strava.
To be clear, all I do now is connect Garmin to laptop.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
Plug Garmin into Laptop; few minutes later it auto syncs with Garmin Connect via Garmin Express; 3-10 mins later the activity automatically appears on Strava.
To be clear, all I do now is connect Garmin to laptop.

That's what we were hoping. Nice one.

If you go into the latest ride the synced across on Strava. Then click on Elevation. Does it show the option to correct it or not?

I linked my Strava account to "our" Garmin which is in MrBP's name. The moment I did it I realised I had probably made a mistake - I expect to see his epic rides appear on my Strava feed, which will look awesome, if not entirely truthful (or indeed not truthful at all!)
and for this reason, (not the epic rides, they are done by me here, not him) I have promptly unlinked the 2....

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Shame it's not working as the file upload isn't working for me at all!

Screen Shot 2015-01-02 at 20.53.37.png

huwsparky

Über Member
@Andrew_Culture are you importing to Garmin Express? Not exactly sure how it all works but if you load Garmin express onto your PC it will automatically sync data with Garmin connect and Strava ( if you let it connect in your Strava settings)

I literally plug in my Garmin to laptop and I don't have to press any buttons, it just downloads then uploads in about 2 mins to Strava.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
@Andrew_Culture are you importing to Garmin Express? Not exactly sure how it all works but if you load Garmin express onto your PC it will automatically sync data with Garmin connect and Strava ( if you let it connect in your Strava settings)

I literally plug in my Garmin to laptop and I don't have to press any buttons, it just downloads then uploads in about 2 mins to Strava.

I have the 510 so my iPhone does the uploading to Garmin connect automatically.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
I have Garmin Connect set to auto sync with Strava. I also have the 510 and sync that to Garmin Connect via the iPhone App. Usually uploads at ride end and has synced across to Strava by the time I have put the bike away in the garage and got my gear into the washing machine.

Explain your routine @Andrew_Culture so that we may work out why yours isn't playing ball.

Since I linked my GC and Strava accounts I've not had to manually import anything - which looks like what @Andrew_Culture is trying to do.
I did download some legacy rides from Endomondo and import them to GC, but even then I think they still synced with Strava eventually.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
I was only prompted to connect today but my ride hasn't synced since it was uploaded to Garmin Connect about four hours ago. I have now set all future rides not to be private to see if this will help in future.
My GC is totally private and I use Enhanced Privacy on Strava. Yet to experience any problems with either the 800/Express or direct uploading via Edge1000's WIFI

Was the pairing done after the ride upload? That would consider the ride old and it wouldn't copy

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I had to re-pair the device to my phone after the ride to get the data onto the phone (and up into Strava). Afterwards I did my usual thing of going to Garmin connect to download the gpx, but when I got to Strava I was asked to create the auto-sync link, which I did. So I'm not expecting the ride I did before making the sync connection to automatically appear in Strava. But unfortunately due to reasons unknown I am unable to manually upload the gpx to Strava without seeing that error message.

Top Bottom