Strava or what else?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The first thing to say here is :- I am a self-confessed Luddite. I struggle with technology of any sort. Just got to grips with my Bose receiver after 18 months!
My question is; can anyone give me a rough idea what is involved in operating a Strava system or alternative. I have home PC running Windows 10 and my phone is a current model Oppo CPH1903. I understand this to be an Android Smart Phone. I only know this because the bloke in CarPhone Warehouse told me. Please keep any reply simple (Very) so that I can understand. Thank you in anticipation. Ken.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Can't help with the phone as I use a standalone GPS unit, however there should be zero issue using Strava on your desktop. It runs as a webpage in the browser (so no software to download / install) and doesn't seem particularly resource-hungry.

Heigue'r

Veteran
On your phone you should have google play store.

Tap this and then search for strava.

If you have not used play store before,you will have to use your email to sign up to use play store.

Once you have downloaded strava from the play store,you will again need your email to register with strava.

Once you do the above,you can then use your phone or dedicated gps unit to track your rides

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
First question is do you want to record your rides or not. If you don't then you don't need any website, software, app etc. Just ride and enjoy it

However if you want to ride and record where you've been, how fast etc etc you need something to record this. Probably the easiest is Strava. Just use your phone and download the Strava app. You'll need to create an account with a username and password. When you go for a ride take the phone with you and press "record a ride" on the app. When you finish, press "stop". Your ride details will then automatically be saved and you can look at it on the Strava app...map of where you've been, how fast etc etc

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm a tech luddite myself. Create a Garmin account, then try downloading the files from the device onto your computer and then uploading those to Garmin Connect. Once you've got the hang of that you'll have little difficulty doing the same with Strava or one of the other apps. If you're not competitive, not interested in chasing segments, then Garmin is a fair and cost-free alternative. good luck.

D

Deleted member 26715

Or another is RidewithGPS, again App based, open app, press record to start press stop at the end, it will upload to the website where you can via via your PC. It may depend if you have friends & if what they use if you want to compare rides,

si_c

Guru
Wow! Thank you all so much. Am on it now.
:okay: It's pretty straight forward once you get the hang of it - the interface has improved significantly in the last couple of years.

Learn how to start a ride and save a ride whilst sat in a chair and then you'll have no problems when out on a ride. Put the phone in a pocket and forget about it or get a handlebar mount, it'll work the same either way.

At the risk of confusing you, there are at least 3 standalone apps (other than Garmin) for recording your rides - Strava, RideWithGps or Komoot. Each are different and have their own advantages. Strava is good for analytics, for example, Komoot not at all. I prefer RWGPS for actually totting up the kms over time.
The Strava & RWGPS free versions allow that.

A great feature of Strava (free) that I love is the ability to edit each daily ride by giving it a name, writing in your own notes and comments and adding pictures (if taken from your phone it's practically automatic it's so easy).
Probably not so suitable for serious riders, but for those of us who like to pootle and stop frequently it's a lot of fun.
Enjoy!

D

Deleted member 26715

At the risk of confusing you, there are at least 3 standalone apps
I'm sure you'll find more than 3, what about Endomondo, Mapmyride, pretty sure there are many more
A great feature of Strava (free) that I love is the ability to edit each daily ride by giving it a name, writing in your own notes and comments and adding pictures (if taken from your phone it's practically automatic it's so easy).
Probably not so suitable for serious riders, but for those of us who like to pootle and stop frequently it's a lot of fun.
Enjoy!
You get that on RidewithGPS

I'm sure you'll find more than 3, what about Endomondo, Mapmyride, pretty sure there are many more
You get that on RidewithGPS
I know ^_^
I did say at least three.
And as for Strava, I was simply stating my personal preference and the op seems to have already tried Strava. ;)

hoopdriver

Guru

This is my "what else" - a map! But then I'm a Luddite too....

Top Bottom