strava subscription

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AlanW

Guru
I discovered today that as a paid-up Strava subscriber I get free insurance cover for any devices I use to record my riding, should they become damaged in use. It'll also pay for a taxi should my bike become unrideable en route. As always, it's something I hope I'll never need but it's another little bonus.

Interesting, I must admit I have never seen that advertised on Strava.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
It's slightly useful for storing gpses of my rides and walks. That's it. A friend somewhere said that live segments (which I don't have) destroyed group cycling. I find the obsession with 'data' a bit odd, unless of course you're competing at a serious level.

Alex321

Veteran
It's slightly useful for storing gpses of my rides and walks. That's it. A friend somewhere said that live segments (which I don't have) destroyed group cycling. I find the obsession with 'data' a bit odd, unless of course you're competing at a serious level.

I'm very sparing with the segments I star - which are the ones that become "live segments" on your device. And if I were doing group rides, I would either turn them off, or ignore any that popped up on the ride.

It isn't the live segments that destroyed group cycling for him, it is the people slavishly trying to beat their PB regardless of circumstances.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I'm very sparing with the segments I star - which are the ones that become "live segments" on your device. And if I were doing group rides, I would either turn them off, or ignore any that popped up on the ride.

It isn't the live segments that destroyed group cycling for him, it is the people slavishly trying to beat their PB regardless of circumstances.
Cause and effect. You can't separate one from the other.

It does amuse me though that people seem to spend as much time analysing their performance as riding their bikes.
Actually, my 'device', when I use it, doesn't link to any apps.

Mike_P

Guru
The most useful bit of Strava data I find is the data for the day of the ride. Pity it only lasts the day as it's interesting to see how others coped in largely the same conditions and maybe I wasn't the slowest. The perk of device insurance makes it worth it IMO.

Eh? Please explain why not.

I find live segments 'useful' - meaning they can add extra dimensions to the experience of cycling when I choose to use them - but I can, and most certainly do, choose to ignore / dismiss them if I'm riding with other people and we pass into one. Live segments are just another tool and the tool doesn't compel people to try and beat their PBs regardless of circumstances. I'd agree that it might encourage such behaviour, but the two really are separable.

I discovered today that as a paid-up Strava subscriber I get free insurance cover for any devices I use to record my riding, should they become damaged in use. It'll also pay for a taxi should my bike become unrideable en route. As always, it's something I hope I'll never need but it's another little bonus.

Yes I saw that email today. Maybe it's new ?
Must remember to take up the offer.

Sallar55

Veteran
One good feature are the age groups, you get slower as you age but it's good to see how fit / active/ fast or slow in your age group. And its a tool to update Veloviewer.

Alex321

Veteran
Of course you can.

It is perfectly possible to have live segments, but just ignore them if you are cycling with others (or if you are by yourself but just don't want to try hard today)

It does amuse me though that people seem to spend as much time analysing their performance as riding their bikes.
Actually, my 'device', when I use it, doesn't link to any apps.
Neither does mine while I'm riding, though there are some it could.

The segments you star in strava automatically get synched as live segments to the device next time it is connected to your phone.

Chislenko

Veteran
One good feature are the age groups, you get slower as you age but it's good to see how fit / active/ fast or slow in your age group. And its a tool to update Veloviewer.

Must admit I like the age group part. However I only use it for comparisons when running.

IMHO all the comparisons on cycling are pointless as one doesn't know what Johnny Evans who is a minute faster up a hill than you are is riding, electric, de-regulated electric, electric converted to throttle etc.

vickster

Legendary Member
Yes I saw that email today. Maybe it's new ?
Must remember to take up the offer.

Not very, I signed up in April after it was mentioned (on here?)
Had completely forgotten about it though :laugh:

I also have ETA which funded a taxi home in the summer after a puncture (and I didn't have time or frankly the inclination to fix by the roadside!)

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Must admit I like the age group part.

I must get that as I'm sure these buggers will be well in my wake when they are my age..
1667389842912.png

Top Bottom