Strava Summit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mustang1

Guru
Are there any Strava Premium members moving over to Strava Summit?

I think I will keep Premium if I'm still getting all the features I want. Next time I look at my analysis data and don't see what I'm looking for, I may hop over to one of the Summit packages.

...or I may just cancel altogether and go back to Basic .

Johnno260

Veteran
I have Strava Prem but only really have it for the Beacon function, so looking at the new packs available I can just use the safety pack.

It says here if you're a current prem sub member you get access to what you have now for the same price:

https://www.techradar.com/news/strava-summit-replaces-premium-heres-what-you-need-to-know

Johnno260

Veteran
Is the beacon function worth the upgrade seeing that 'Share Live Location' is available via Whatsapp for free?

If what you said is free then I will take a look at that.

My kids like watching the live map while I’m out, but if there is a free option use that.

si_c

Guru
Is the beacon function worth the upgrade seeing that 'Share Live Location' is available via Whatsapp for free?
Beacon is easier to set up, and you can set it to automatically share a location with given contacts when you start a ride, rather than having to explicitly share location using that app. Plus it keeps track of where you have been and shows information like current speed, allowing people to see if you are still moving.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Strava Premium will no longer exist. It IS the new Summit which is all three packages.

You can upgrade to just one of the 3 above mentioned mini-packages for about £20 if that is all you need. Or downgrade from the old Premium if you look at it another way.

Johnno260

Veteran
Strava Premium will no longer exist. It IS the new Summit which is all three packages.

You can upgrade to just one of the 3 above mentioned mini-packages for about £20 if that is all you need. Or downgrade from the old Premium if you look at it another way.

Yes my Strava profile already lists my account type as a Summit one.

Sixmile

Veteran
If what you said is free then I will take a look at that.

I mainly use it when I leave work to save my wife the 'when will you be home' or 'where are you' messages. Takes a few seconds to do.

nickAKA

Über Member
I've been a basic user for 12 months, but for £1.59 a month I've been convinced enough to sign up to the Summit "analysis package" as that's the one thing I'm really interested in. I guess they've made these changes to draw the likes of me in (and it's working tbf)
I've got the live beacon with my Bolt head unit anyway, think I now get live segments too which sounds like a good way of ruining a nice ride but time will tell!

Johnno260

Veteran
I've been a basic user for 12 months, but for £1.59 a month I've been convinced enough to sign up to the Summit "analysis package" as that's the one thing I'm really interested in. I guess they've made these changes to draw the likes of me in (and it's working tbf)
I've got the live beacon with my Bolt head unit anyway, think I now get live segments too which sounds like a good way of ruining a nice ride but time will tell!

If it's the same thing the live segments is fun, I had a pop up on the screen with a friends times up a hill, so I had to beat him! haha

steverob

Guru
If you've got a Garmin GPS, then their Garmin Connect phone app contains a LiveTrack option that functions just like Strava's Beacon, plus it's free.

As for Summit, I did have a Strava Premium subscription for a short while a few years back, but realised that I wasn't using half the features it offered (not having a heart rate monitor or a power meter, which many of them required to use), so I let it go back down to the basic level again. But for less than £20 a year, I could make a case for getting just the Training Pack alone, as most of those I might actually use. Not going to jump on it yet, but will certainly consider it.

crazyjoe101

For ride tracking I use a reasonably priced app called Loca2Web, I have it on Android but they might have an iPhone version. It has lots of options for how and who to share rides to, as well as different options for update frequency and displayed data to balance info and battery life.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
If you've got a Garmin GPS, then their Garmin Connect phone app contains a LiveTrack option that functions just like Strava's Beacon, plus it's free.

As for Summit, I did have a Strava Premium subscription for a short while a few years back, but realised that I wasn't using half the features it offered (not having a heart rate monitor or a power meter, which many of them required to use), so I let it go back down to the basic level again. But for less than £20 a year, I could make a case for getting just the Training Pack alone, as most of those I might actually use. Not going to jump on it yet, but will certainly consider it.

A HRM and Cadence Sensor would enhance your training no doubt fairly cheaply. A power meter would be the ultimate, but is cost restrictive to me. Strava gives you ‘thumb sucked’ power estimates which are a little useful.

The power readings on my smart trainer are accurate.

Top Bottom