Strava times For alpine climb alpe d'huez

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

reacher

Can anyone help explain, I'm looking at he Strava times for the alpe d'huez climb and in the over 55s section the vam figures don't seem to tally with the metres ascended that are on the internet covering the description of the climb, in particular after the first top 50 places they appear to be less than the start and tourist finish. Should not the metres ascended all match or am I reading it all wrong ? Basically I'm trying to work out what a good times for that climb would be age 60

lutonloony

Über Member
I would just be happy to do it

Cycled it four times and I can say with out a doubt that Strava or not my times must have been some of the longest ever recorded from start to finish.
Mind you even though I struggled I still think its one of the easiest to climb. Probably due to me taking so long though.

OP
OP
R

reacher

ah, that was my next question thanks, the strava times that are showing around the hour mark, i take it those guys would be pretty much seriously good riders who have been riding a long time ?
Theirs quite a lot on the hour being the time to go for but going on strava times that is a seriously good time i would have thought in that age group are they referring to younger riders or just very good riders at any age?

T4tomo

Guru
A good time for your average punter on any "trophy climb" is somewhere around double the pro record. And bear in mind Pantani record of something like 36 mins was almost certainly drug assisted, then 1 hour 10 - 15 is a decent time, so concur with above that at 60+ 1hr 30 would be very creditable.

OP
OP
R

reacher

Thanks guys you have been very helpful, its very difficult to get an idea of whats a good effort or not at an older age especially when your not a cyclist who started at a young age

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I'll be happy just to get up it without breaking something. It will be the last (and 20th) ascent on the 7th and last day of a cycling tour I'll be doing next month. Before riding up Alpe d'Huez I'll have spent the morning riding up Col du Telegraphe followed by Col du Galibier. Looking forward to it!

Last edited:

Norry1

Legendary Member
The start is a bit steeper - but basically you need to climb at your Threshold pretty consistently. You get the chance to have slight recoveries on each hairpin. Not the prettiest climb but iconic.

swansonj

Guru
I submit that a "good" time is the best time you are capable of. Plus ten minutes so that you're not in danger of throwing up or having a heart attack. Plus ten minutes for taking photos. Plus ten minutes for a slice of flapjack half way up. Plus ten minutes to have a natter with someone else having their own flapjack break. Plus five minutes just to savour the sheer joy of being on a bicycle.

"Good" is a mutable term. YMMV. ;)

Top Bottom