Strava

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Komoot is quite good, but still it's routing isn't great, from experience it routes you down footpaths which unless you want to lift your bike over styles all the time is not good. It also uses Openstreetmaps underneath so as long as you are prepared to edit them to add the missing bridleways it's not complete.
I'd heard you've got to be careful with the footpath issue !

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I have a sneaky suspicion that Strava data harvesting won't suffer much at all over the next few years. Despite adding a charge for viewing data there is no charge to upload and tens of millions of people have already got their data uploading automatically as it syncs via other platforms. For example, I have not even used MapMyRun for more than 5 years, yet they will have still being receiving a couple of thousand activities just because it automatically syncs because I ticked a box many years ago.

Phaeton

Guru
I'd heard you've got to be careful with the footpath issue !
Last one it routed me into a private drive, with big gates & high walls, I figured it was a footpath/bridleway that somebody had illegally blocked, but when I got back it wasn't shown on rowmaps as being either. Problem as my old Developers used to say garbage in garbage out, so if streetmaps is incorrect the routing will be wrong, not sure how many people update streetmaps & how often Komoot pull the data in.

OP
R

Roger Longbottom

I suppose the other angle, that I don't know if anybody has touched on is that maybe paid up subscribers were drifting away as perhaps they were thinking

"What am I actually getting for my money, not a lot when all the free users are getting nearly all the features I am paying for"

Certainly when I was a free user under the old conditions I couldn't see a great deal of advantage in paying.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
There will be lots of different segments of users all of whom may react differently, from the dormant uploaders as mentioned by @Milkfloat to the paid up subscribers happy to have their decision to subscribe justified as mentioned by @Roger Longbottom with tons of other subgroups in between - flouncers, grudging subscribers and so on. I bet the work providing the data to support their decisions was a lot of fun.

YukonBoy

The Monch
Generally I don't use Strava that much, but for longer more memorable rides, though I do think it's the best reason for owning a smartphone there is.

But I've been using it every day through lockdown, and was idly wondering what my lockdown heatmap looks like, which was always a subscription service.

It will give me a bit of inspiration to seek out untravelled roads, plus I quite like the masochism of seeing just how much faster my mates are uphill than me. And I hate the constant neverending ads on line, so subscription seems better.
VeloViewer will give you untraveled places and only £10 a year. Check out max square and cluster as well.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I suppose the other angle, that I don't know if anybody has touched on is that maybe paid up subscribers were drifting away as perhaps they were thinking

"What am I actually getting for my money, not a lot when all the free users are getting nearly all the features I am paying for"

Certainly when I was a free user under the old conditions I couldn't see a great deal of advantage in paying.
I've been a Strava subscriber for three years and have to say this hadn't occurred to me. I subscribed because I wanted to support Strava.

Your point though is very valid. I have been a Guardian Supporter for several years. Alongside buying the paper at weekends I was using the online service for free. Sometime ago I became a supporter and paid £100pa. I got nothing for this but was quite happy to continue.

Last year the paper asked if I would contribute for other features online. Again I did - another £100. Then I discovered all these features were free to all online. I felt ripped off.

I cancelled all my voluntary contributions to the paper. Cost them £200 pa and an unhappy customer.

So yes it's necessary to be very careful with such changes.

Stephenite

Membå
I've been a Strava subscriber for three years and have to say this hadn't occurred to me. I subscribed because I wanted to support Strava.

Your point though is very valid. I have been a Guardian Supporter for several years. Alongside buying the paper at weekends I was using the online service for free. Sometime ago I became a supporter and paid £100pa. I got nothing for this but was quite happy to continue.

Last year the paper asked if I would contribute for other features online. Again I did - another £100. Then I discovered all these features were free to all online. I felt ripped off.

I cancelled all my voluntary contributions to the paper. Cost them £200 pa and an unhappy customer.

So yes it's necessary to be very careful with such changes.
I've been a subscriber to Strava for 5 years and, like you, a contributor to The Guardian - though only, maybe £20 a year. I'm not well off but I feel an onus of responsibility to pay for, or support, a good product or service. For 'people of good conscience' it's about finding a balance (as always) between the give and take.

In your case with The Guardian if you felt the balance was tipped too far then it was right to correct it.

Angus McCoatup

That's my account deleted.

Cynical timing though, just has thousands have started cycling again.
I also think that the timing of this is incredibly cynical and insensitive. Putting aside for a moment the global health crisis, it brings with it economic pressures for tens of thousands of people. Businesses going bust, people losing their jobs or having reduced incomes due to being furloghed or laid off work. So, dear Strava in their infinite wisdom, thought this is a good time to ask people to pay, for hitherto free features? Lovley. Well done you.

YukonBoy

The Monch
Last one it routed me into a private drive, with big gates & high walls, I figured it was a footpath/bridleway that somebody had illegally blocked, but when I got back it wasn't shown on rowmaps as being either. Problem as my old Developers used to say garbage in garbage out, so if streetmaps is incorrect the routing will be wrong, not sure how many people update streetmaps & how often Komoot pull the data in.
Did you correct it? I update OSM if I find missing stuff or alignment issues. Did a walk earlier this week and missing footpaths and some shown don’t line up with what’s on the ground. So will load my gpx up this weekend and sort out OSM for the problem areas. I also update surface type of cycle paths where I find they are tarmac etc.

Top Bottom