Strava

vickster

Legendary Member
In summary I think few can claim it's unfair that the company attempts to make a profit, it's just an unfortunate / questionable /cynical route to:

a) Do so removing features free users had come to expect for nowt
b) Do so at a time when many are just getting into the sport / likely to be struggling financially

I resent having the features I appreciate and enjoy removed and held to ransom, but then have no legit cause for complaint in the grand scheme of things since I've never paid for the priviledge nor been subjected to any ads (although I'd probably prefer this route since I'm one of the minority to use an ad blocker).

It'll be interesting to see how it pans out; I'm hoping they might introduce a mid-tier subscription of say £2/month that would reinstate the features previously enjoyed by free users; as I'm really missing the leaderboards and more importantly the comparisons to my own previous rides.
Do ad blockers work on ads though? And if I was Strava and relying on advertising revenue, it would make sense to have it so that ad blockers can’t be used, otherwise what’s the point

wafter

Über Member
Do ad blockers work on ads though? And if I was Strava and relying on advertising revenue, it would make sense to have it so that ad blockers can’t be used, otherwise what’s the point
Well, of course it makes sense for ads to be able to defeat ad blockers; and therein lies the perpetual battle of the internet!

FWIW I find the ad blockers I use to be extremely effective; to the extent where having seen sites I frequent without them in operation I'd seriously re-consider my use of said sites - given all the irrelevant, garish, flashing crap they seem to be festooned with :rolleyes:

Ultimately of course this is just the Strava argument on a wider scale; there should be no such thing as a free lunch but while the masses continue to tolerate ads and fund sites through advertising revenue, I'm happy to take advantage of the situation. In any case I despise advertising and very rarely have I made purchases off the back of ads; so it's lost on me in any case and as such not like my choice to remove the ads is in any way detrimental to those who wares they're touting.

OP
R

Roger Longbottom

Am now in my seventh year of using Strava and have given them my £47.99 to keep on board.

Think that works out less than £7 a year. Wouldn't buy you fish and chips in most places.

Shouldnt people be saying "Thanks for letting us have it for free for so long Strava" Instead of whinging about having to pay for it?
I would agree.After a ride I would look at my stats just as matter of interest It’s not something I would pay for. If getting in the top ten on segments was my thing then yes I would pay On the odd occasions I have used the route planner which I found easy to use but I wouldn’t subscribe just for that.

Mike_P

Veteran
There's good coverage on it on this week's GCN news, apparently the segments are the most expensive part of the whole offering and given the annual cost is only slightly more than the local council want for taking garden refuse I decided to subscribe, partly in the hope that improvements come along. The issue of ebike timings clogging up KOMs is largely due to their being hardly any ebike segments and by default ebikes uploading rides to Strava as ride rather than e-bike ride. I did report one which got removed.

Shortandcrisp

Setting aside for one second the arguments over the rights or wrongs of having to pay a subscription, those who will or won’t pay to upgrade will probably be decided by:

1. How far up the leadership boards they’re able to get,
2. How much importance they attach to that.

There’s very little else of value that isn’t still available for free, as far as I can see.

DRM

Veteran
having just uploaded a Zwift ride to Strava, I can honestly say there's nothing paid for that I'm bothered about looking at, as long as rides are recorded, and I can see if I have done better/worse than previously, that's all I need to see.

Venod

Eh up
Setting aside for one second the arguments over the rights or wrongs of having to pay a subscription, those who will or won’t pay to upgrade will probably be decided by:

1. How far up the leadership boards they’re able to get,
2. How much importance they attach to that.

There’s very little else of value that isn’t still available for free, as far as I can see.
I see it as an incentive to try harder and get into the top ten on a segment and see your position while remaining subscription free.

newfhouse

Elitist lefty
Nope. I make an annual donation to be ad free on CC. I believe in paying for what I want be it Strava or ad free CC.

BTW that's not a dig at you. :smile:
I didn’t think it was. I know CC is a much smaller enterprise than Strava, but the same principles apply, I think. I do use ad-blockers for general browsing but turn them off if I become a heavy user of any site, including this one. I wasn’t aware there was a subscription option here, so will investigate.

Top Bottom