Strava ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
What's up with Strava ? I went for a ride this afternoon and I know for sure I have done 80 kms but Strava only registers 54.13 kms. Is it because I stopped a couple of times for a few minutes and Strava gets confused? It is very annoying though as I expect accuracy from a well known app.

I've been using it for years with no errors that I can remember. I'd suspect user error.
Did you stop it ?
Are you sure it's not reading in miles ?

Reactions: C R

Chislenko

Veteran
Never had a problem, it just works.

The only problem I have ever had was not Strava related but a Sony mobile I once had that would decide to reboot itself halfway through a ride thus ending the ride at that point.

What's up with Strava ? I went for a ride this afternoon and I know for sure I have done 80 kms but Strava only registers 54.13 kms. Is it because I stopped a couple of times for a few minutes and Strava gets confused? It is very annoying though as I expect accuracy from a well known app.

GPS did not lock at the start or the signal has dropped somewhere along the line.

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
To be fair, the same happened with Relive. Both Relive and Strava returned wrong distances. Only Garmin was accurate so maybe it was the signal on both these apps or maybe I shouldn't run both apps simultaneously?

You do know you can hook your Garmin up to Strava so you don't actually need to use the app to record ?

Sharky

Guru
Recent conversion to strava and find it quite useful. Comparing own times for segments is a good way to monitor progress/fitness.

Only issue I find is when recording our evening 10's. I usually start strava when I start my warm up and keep it running unti all over and have ridden back to the HQ.

The specific timings for the actual 10 segment is sometimes very accurate and sometimes a few minutes out compared to the timekeepers timings.

Think the discrepancy is when we are milling around at the start, waiting to be pushed off. I think the GPS signal must get activated before the actual start.

Chislenko

Veteran
Recent conversion to strava and find it quite useful. Comparing own times for segments is a good way to monitor progress/fitness.

Only issue I find is when recording our evening 10's. I usually start strava when I start my warm up and keep it running unti all over and have ridden back to the HQ.

The specific timings for the actual 10 segment is sometimes very accurate and sometimes a few minutes out compared to the timekeepers timings.

Think the discrepancy is when we are milling around at the start, waiting to be pushed off. I think the GPS signal must get activated before the actual start.

You need to go into settings and put "auto pause" on. This will then stop and start recording each time you stop / restart. However if the "milling around" involves warming up cycling it will record it over a certain speed (is it 4mph?).

The other solution is to hit the record button, let it find the satellites (when it goes green) but do not press start until you are about to set off on your ride.

vickster

Legendary Member

You can crop your recordings at the start and end as long as you know the exact place you want the start and finish

Last edited:
Top Bottom