Strava ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike_P

Guru
You can crop your recordings at the start as long as you know the exact place you want the start and finish

No, I didn't but will try it.

With the outage Strava had last year and clearly no guarantee of it not happening again best if any ride is uploaded elsewhere as well, Garmins should also load to Garmin Connect and there is the likes of Komoot as well which any device should be also uploading to. In the event of a Strava failure there is then the subseqy option of importing the GPX file having downloaded it from where the ride has been saved.

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
With the outage Strava had last year and clearly no guarantee of it not happening again best if any ride is uploaded elsewhere as well, Garmins should also load to Garmin Connect and there is the likes of Komoot as well which any device should be also uploading to. In the event of a Strava failure there is then the subseqy option of importing the GPX file having downloaded it from where the ride has been saved.

Good advice.
The GPX files are pretty forgiving and easy to manipulate from my experience. Recently finished a ride accidently 20 miles in (user error) and found a 3rd party app that managed to piece together the remaining 40 to combine them both.
Likewise there are 3rd party apps that can upload fitbit data to strava as currently some indoor workouts aren't supported.

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
It all sounds very complicated to me when all I want is a simple distance covered, time taken and a map of where I have been.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
It all sounds very complicated to me when all I want is a simple distance covered, time taken and a map of where I have been.

Strava and numerous apps all do exactly that, but GPS is slightly inaccurate, hence the discussion of how to minimise those errors.

The Galileo press releases promised considerably better accuracy, but I still don't have a Galileo receiver to test...

Buck

Guru
Your Relive ride is merely a replay of the ride you upload via Strava as you will have linked your account previously. Relive doesn’t record independently.

If you have Garmin then use that as your primary recording of any activity. Using Strava mobile is still excellent but more prone to drop outs as it is dependent upon your phone’s GPS link and it is not the software itself.

Out of interest when you view the map of your route, does it reflect the route you actually travelled or are there any parts missing (usually shown as a straight line between loss of signal and restart).

figbat

Slippery scientist
Your Relive ride is merely a replay of the ride you upload via Strava as you will have linked your account previously. Relive doesn’t record independently.

The Relive app also has an independent recording capability. That said, there’s no reaon to run two tracking apps at the same time, as well as a Garmin unit. As above, I’d just record with the Garmin, link it to Strava, Relive, RWGPS or whatever and just record once and let it sync to all the other places. In fact that is exactly how I operate (except using a Wahoo unit).

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Out of interest when you view the map of your route, does it reflect the route you actually travelled or are there any parts missing (usually shown as a straight line between loss of signal and restart).
Strava is pretty good at showing exactly where I have been but Relive sometimes misses the route and just shows a straight line, as you said.
As suggested, I think I will record on Garmin only and let it send to Strava at the end of my ride.

Buck

Guru
Yes, that’s what I do. I’ve not had any issues with this way of recording the route.

Depending upon which Garmin you have you connect to Garmin’s Connect software and when you end the ride it will auto upload to Strava.:okay:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Strava is pretty good at showing exactly where I have been but Relive sometimes misses the route and just shows a straight line, as you said.
As suggested, I think I will record on Garmin only and let it send to Strava at the end of my ride.

You'll need to make sure you Garmin Connect account is linked to Strava.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

It's not.

Link your Garmin account to Strava. Your device uploads to Garmin Connect as usual, then Garmin sends the data automatically to Strava, and other apps TBH. Just log into Connect and set it to upload data to your app of choice (best done on the WEB site).

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I'm still using an old garmin 800 so have to plug it into the lap top to upload. proper old school.

I'm onto my second replacement 3D printed lug connector doodah to glue onto the original where the tabs have cracked off, and it occasionally randomly replaces a field in the display with a different one, so have to pop into the settings to change it back. But its still recording everything fine.^_^

Top Bottom