Strawberrys. How do you eat them?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alicat

Legendary Member
I'm not really fond of strawberries either. However, I liked them more when I was in Portugal and had them served with mint.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
I read in in a magazine along with couscous and tinned mango now that is lovely on a hot day with a nice salad, cut said mango in to small chunks

I had Mango, Strawbobs, apple and greek yoghurt for breakfast.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Our local PYO often found empty cream containers in the field, along with disposable dishes & spoons, it got so bad that he stopped allowing people into the fields & would just sell punnets from a stall.

Ahhh the few spoiling it for the many, how sad.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Same.. I usually eat them straight off the stalk with nothing else other than a sense of trepidation and impending doom...

Years ago, I would eat the wild brambles and so on off the bushes in a (then) nearby piece of waste - ground whilst walking the dogs. This was ok until one day, after a particularly large purge, I became quite unwell.

Turns out I must have eaten some that a bird or some other animal had shat on or similar. ☺️

I had Eton Mess... Quite literally!😆

I have been considerably more cautious since.

My brother is allergic to bananas incidentally

Last edited:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Years ago, I would eat the wild brambles and so on off the bushes in a (then) nearby piece of waste - ground whilst walking the dogs. This was ok until one day, after a particularly large purge, I became quite unwell.

Turns out I must have eaten some that a bird or some other animal had shat on or similar. ☺️

I had Eton Mess... Quite literally!😆

I have been considerably more cautious since.

lol :tongue:

I'm properly allergic to bananas - last time was eyes nearly swollen shut amongst other things and a trip to A&E. Everything else (and it's a considerable list) provokes ostensibly lower-level, more chronic symptoms :sad:

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
lol :tongue:

I'm properly allergic to bananas - last time was eyes nearly swollen shut amongst other things and a trip to A&E. Everything else (and it's a considerable list) provokes ostensibly lower-level, more chronic symptoms :sad:

My brother's tongue just tingles at bananas (ooh err).

As for me, I am unaware of any real allergies to food, my allergies are more with certain drugs!

presta

Guru
I don't buy them.

I don't dislike them, but I'm not bothered by them either, so they aren't really worth the money.

I've heard tell of serving them with a drizzle of Balsamic Vinegar :eek:

Me, I'd slice or quarter them and drizzle with Cointreau and a sprinkle of caster sugar. Cream if desired, i prefer vanilla ice cream

As is. Or to make a compote that goes into the bottom of a bakewell tart. Or jam. Although if I'm truly honest, I do prefer raspberries.

I don't buy them.

I don't dislike them, but I'm not bothered by them either, so they aren't really worth the money.

Choosing them correctly makes all the difference. Pick up a punnet and squeeze it, so you get a gentle whoosh of air under your nose. If you get a lovely sweet aroma, lob them into your trolley / basket. if you can't smell a thing, stick 'em back on the shelf.

Most of a strawberry's "flavour" is in its aroma, making us think that they are sweeter than they really are. Strawberries are actually as acidic as pineapple and oranges. I always used to think I was nuts for sniffing fruit, but then I watched this BBC science documentary (I think it was on the wonders of the human body with Michael Mosely) which backed this up.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
My brother's tongue just tingles at bananas (ooh err).

As for me, I am unaware of any real allergies to food, my allergies are more with certain drugs!
Sounds like he's getting away lightly - although (as in my case) symptoms can grow increasingly severe with repeated exposure.. I guess he's probably not going out of his way to eat them anyway however!

Took me years to figure out my own food allergies as not all result in immediate, obvious symptoms.. but it sounds like you're not suffering in this regard so hopefully not allergic to any foods :smile:

As is. Or to make a compote that goes into the bottom of a bakewell tart. Or jam. Although if I'm truly honest, I do prefer raspberries.

Choosing them correctly makes all the difference. Pick up a punnet and squeeze it, so you get a gentle whoosh of air under your nose. If you get a lovely sweet aroma, lob them into your trolley / basket. if you can't smell a thing, stick 'em back on the shelf.

Most of a strawberry's "flavour" is in its aroma, making us think that they are sweeter than they really are. Strawberries are actually as acidic as pineapple and oranges. I always used to think I was nuts for sniffing fruit, but then I watched this BBC science documentary (I think it was on the wonders of the human body with Michael Mosely) which backed this up.
+1 for the sniff test!

vickster

Legendary Member
Sounds like he's getting away lightly - although (as in my case) symptoms can grow increasingly severe with repeated exposure.. I guess he's probably not going out of his way to eat them anyway however!

Took me years to figure out my own food allergies as not all result in immediate, obvious symptoms.. but it sounds like you're not suffering in this regard so hopefully not allergic to any foods :smile:

+1 for the sniff test!

I get a sore spotty tongue and a stuffy nose from strawberries

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Nut allergies can be vicious.

I recall a Durham student who bought a chicken sandwich from a takeaway, took one bite, then collapsed and died about 20 metres from the shop.

The inquest heard she was aware of her allergy, and her mother said she always asked if there were any nuts in prepared food.

Perhaps predictably, the shop worker said she had not asked on that occasion.

The matter rested there since there was no other evidence of whether she had asked or not.

Top Bottom