Strength of wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Martinsnos

Hi,
The pros jump up and down pretty big kerbs at times. Are they ever risking a buckle/broken wheel or…are their wheels so well made that it is highly unlikely?
What is the minimum price (sale prices aside) you would ever pay for a road bike wheel (to get the strength and performance)?
Many thanks.

my wheels need to last me 5-10yrs

Pros wheels need to last them 1 day and even then there’s a nice man willing to swap out a broken wheel, that nice man probably doesn’t follow us around😀

All uphill

Still rolling along
Hi,
The pros jump up and down pretty big kerbs at times. Are they ever risking a buckle/broken wheel or…are their wheels so well made that it is highly unlikely?
What is the minimum price (sale prices aside) you would ever pay for a road bike wheel (to get the strength and performance)?
Many thanks.
I spend very little on wheels. Shimano hubs, decent spokes (32/36 per wheel) and rims then build them myself.

That works out at about £100 a pair and I know who to blame if they go out of true!

OP
OP
M

Martinsnos

I spend very little on wheels. Shimano hubs, decent spokes (32/36 per wheel) and rims then build them myself.

That works out at about £100 a pair and I know who to blame if they go out of true!
Sadly I have zero skills but thanks for the info.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
True....however, for their own safety, race position, and of course the poor old mechanics who have enough to do as it is…they are not using anything vaguely resembling flimsy wheels. Cav's using Roval Rapide CLXs, not exactly that expensive given the price of the bike. Ineos have ridden Lightweight Meilenstein Obermayers for mountain stages in 2019 & 2020, and this year are using Princeton Carbonworks wheels for the same. About a kilo a set. Very strong and very light, very not cheap…

OP
OP
M

Martinsnos

True....however, for their own safety, race position, and of course the poor old mechanics who have enough to do as it is…they are not using anything vaguely resembling flimsy wheels. Cav's using Roval Rapide CLXs, not exactly that expensive given the price of the bike. Ineos have ridden Lightweight Meilenstein Obermayers for mountain stages in 2019 & 2020, and this year are using Princeton Carbonworks wheels for the same. About a kilo a set. Very strong and very light, very not cheap…
Blimey, no but interesting - thank you.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
I used to be a pro when I was a child. Always dropping off kerbs 😆

I was a mere amateur , usually bumping up kerbs

Hi,
Many thanks.
Weight of riders are specified by wheel manufacturers. The benefit is performance. Try the Fulcrum range, even the lower end wheels are far better than stock wheels. For £300, you can pick a decent set.

Bunny hopping does not damage the wheels. It's potholes.

Sharky

Guru
Most of my wheels are Mavic and pretty robust
_8204501.JPG

Well fairly robust, but easily fixed with a new rim, new spokes and new hub.

OP
OP
M

Martinsnos

Weight of riders are specified by wheel manufacturers. The benefit is performance. Try the Fulcrum range, even the lower end wheels are far better than stock wheels. For £300, you can pick a decent set.

Bunny hopping does not damage the wheels. It's potholes.
Many thanks for the Fulcrum tip. Between house purchase if we have some ‘spare’ equity I might just persuade the wife!
Years ago in Portugal I used to think how bad the roads were. Now it is embarrassing that ours surpass that in awfulness. As I’m sure you have too I’ve seen some that are ‘rider killers’ it is a disgrace.

Top Bottom