Stripped hex head cone bolt on Fulcrum Racing 5

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
I accidently over-tightened the small hex bolt used to adjust the cone on my rear wheel and now cannot undo it as the Allen key keeps slipping. As the wheel set is about two years old (and Chain Reaction seem to be doing a good deal on replacements), is it worth the bother trying to rectify this and, if so, how?

Tim Hall

Is it the thread that's stripped or the head rounded out?

accountantpete

Brexiteer
1) The key is easily rounded - try angling it a little to get better purchase.

2) I filed down a slightly oversized hex key to undo a rounded hex nut.

3) The bolt is just a normal threaded screw with a hex slot on top which tightens the collar - so any similarly threaded screw will do the same job equally as well.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Only if it's thre head that has rounded, surely. If it's the thread on the bolt , or the thread it goes into, that won't help much. And as I understand it, the cone adjusting bolt on Fulcrum Racing 5 is 2.5mm AF. Do Torx drivers go that small?
If the key keeps slipping then it must be a rounded head. I find that small Allen heads are very easily rounded.

OP
OP
Jon George

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
It is rounded.

I must say that any method which requires me to 'tap it', or hit it in any way, seems to suggest to me that I'd need three hands - one to hold the hammer, one to hold the driver, and one to stop the collar from shifting. Nevertheless, thanks for the ideas - I'll have another go. :okay:

Top Bottom