Stripped mudguard eyelets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
The ribble rebuild has been used as a commuter for the last few weeks due to issues with the LBS sourcing and fitting incorrect chainring on the disc road bike but the eyelets for the mudgaurd / pannier rack seem to be made if cheese and have no thread worth a damn .I am not sure you can use p clips as weight bearing ?

Does anyone know if you can get them rethreaded or has anyone any experience with this sort of rack ?

1621529059577.png

Ajax Bay

Guru
Assuming this is a threaded hole going all the way through, use a bolt and a nyloc nut in the threaded but stripped thread, drilled out if necessary. A much stronger solution.

si_c

Guru
trouble is its both sides so the driveside one would catch on the cassette
I had that problem in the past, I used a button headed allan bolt, m4, threaded through in reverse with the bolt on the outside of the frame. The button head allowed the cassette to rotate without catching on the nut as it was slim enough, a similar solution might work in your case depending on how close the cassette is to the bolt head. A photo would help :okay:

figbat

Slippery scientist
trouble is its both sides so the driveside one would catch on the cassette
Something like this, with the nut outboard?
1621532761759.png

scragend

The ribble rebuild has been used as a commuter for the last few weeks due to issues with the LBS sourcing and fitting incorrect chainring on the disc road bike but the eyelets for the mudgaurd / pannier rack seem to be made if cheese and have no thread worth a damn .I am not sure you can use p clips as weight bearing ?

Does anyone know if you can get them rethreaded or has anyone any experience with this sort of rack ?

<pic snipped>

I have one of those racks for one of my bikes which has no eyelets. It's solid enough with the "legs" attached (don't be tempted to use just the main bar without the legs, it'll sway all over the place).

How high above the back wheel it will sit depends on the geometry of your frame. The one in the picture is quite high - it is similar on the bike that I use it on, but if I mount it on my Marasa hybrid, which I did before I got a proper rack, it sits much lower.

Obviously not as good as a proper rack, but they're OK.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I had that problem in the past, I used a button headed allan bolt, m4, threaded through in reverse with the bolt on the outside of the frame. The button head allowed the cassette to rotate without catching on the nut as it was slim enough, a similar solution might work in your case depending on how close the cassette is to the bolt head. A photo would help :okay:
Something like this, with the nut outboard?
View attachment 589777
I think you have your answer :okay:

Top Bottom