Stripping Paint Off Cast Iron

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CharlesF

Guru
We live in a Victorian townhouse converted into four flats. Our flat has a short section of Victorian cast-iron balusters with a wooden handrail. The balusters are covered in layers of paint, poorly applied in places.

Now I thought it would be easy to apply paint remover and strip them back to the bare iron, but I didn’t think that smell of the paint remover would cause the other flat owners to complain.

Plan B – use my heat gun. Wrong. The smell of melting paint was not well received.

Now I’m manually scrapping the paint off. The more modern layers come off fairly easily, if slowly; but the bottom layer is sticky or welded on, I presume this is the Victorian paint of varnish.

I did think of dissembling the whole thing, but many flat nails are used, and these won’t come out, as just below the surface they have rusted away. Using more force looks as if the brickwork will be badly damaged.

Please can the talented CC members give me some suggestions on how to easily remove all the paint exposing the bare iron, ready for a new coat of Hammerite paint.

midlife

Guru
Mobile sandblasting outfit ?

irw

Quadricyclist
Wire brush attachment in a drill? I've found this fairly effective at (carefully) removing paint from a couple of radiator pipes that would otherwise be rathe difficult to deal with. Just make sure you are wearing some safety goggles, a suitable mask, and some decent gloves!

One of these kits, or something similar.
Screwfix wire brush set

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Just let the other flat owners know that the smell will be temporary and they just have to put up with it (but do it in a nice way). Failing that getting mechanical like @irw suggested.

OP
OP
CharlesF

CharlesF

Guru
@irw I have just looked at the same brushes on Toolstation - great minds.

@Sharky that stuff looks just what I need, thanks.

I hadn’t thought about lead in the old paint, so that needs to be taken into account.

Thanks for All help.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Wire brush attachment on a small angle grinder. Much much much more effective than the same in a power drill since the drill maybe does 2500rpm but the grinder does 10,000 and is likely a bigger brush too. It's a fierce tool so wear think clothes and (obviously) googles. The wires tend to detach and stick in your legs, and whilst that stings a bit it's not a disaster. Watch the eyes though !

A trade / pro standard 4-1/2" grinder (Makita, Bosch Blue or Hitachi) isn't going to be more than 60 or 70 quid and is a very handy tool for all sorts of things.

Badger_Boom

Über Member
These chaps are experts when it comes to stripping paint off old stuff. I’m part way through stripping 100 years of paint off some plaster cornices and their Klingstrip paste works a treat. We also bought some stuff to remove gloss paint from exterior brick work.

Drago

Legendary Member
If you can get them off then get them dipped or blasted. Failing that, scrape off what you can and then get a wire cup brush on the angle grinder, don some ear defenders, and wait until the fa,lily have settled down watch emmerdale...

PK99

Legendary Member
I used a heavy duty wire brush on drill of some Victorian cast iron gate posts - worked a dream. Down to shiny metal in no time. The Halfords items linked upthread are a bit whimpy - ok for fine detailing but not heavy lifting,

The kling strip linked upthread gets good comments:

I ordered Kling Strip feeling a bit dubious that it would remove all the paint from an iron fire place based on my experience using a Nitromors type product. I was delighted at the result though! Kling Strip removed a number of layers of paint, including what we guessed was lead based paint. The majority of the product brought off the paint in one gelatinous length. It was a little messy to remove the remaining product, and you will need to use a nail brush or something less abrasive to get all the product off. However, if you are looking for something to remove all traces of paint, this product will do the trick. NB Protect walls and floor coverings around the area to be stripped.

Top Bottom