Stripping Paint Off Cast Iron

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
If you simply repainted with a matt paint the signs of previous bad painting would be less obvious than if you used gloss, which shows imperfections much worse.

OP
OP
CharlesF

CharlesF

Guru
If you simply repainted with a matt paint the signs of previous bad painting would be less obvious than if you used gloss, which shows imperfections much worse.
That’s a good tip, I’m half way there as I have Hammerite black satin to use.

The stripping the old paint has come to a temporary halt until I can stand for a longer time.

Badger_Boom

Über Member
I used a heavy duty wire brush on drill of some Victorian cast iron gate posts - worked a dream. Down to shiny metal in no time. The Halfords items linked upthread are a bit whimpy - ok for fine detailing but not heavy lifting,

The kling strip linked upthread gets good comments:

I ordered Kling Strip feeling a bit dubious that it would remove all the paint from an iron fire place based on my experience using a Nitromors type product. I was delighted at the result though! Kling Strip removed a number of layers of paint, including what we guessed was lead based paint. The majority of the product brought off the paint in one gelatinous length. It was a little messy to remove the remaining product, and you will need to use a nail brush or something less abrasive to get all the product off. However, if you are looking for something to remove all traces of paint, this product will do the trick. NB Protect walls and floor coverings around the area to be stripped.
I can vouch for Klingstrip. It worked a treat on my Victorian front door surround, and plasterwork that some dingbat descided to gloss paint in a fetching shade of purple.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I've done my small Woden vice over the last few days. Wilko paint stripper, wire wool and a lot of elbow grease. These are grey cast iron.

Not fully reassembled yet as I want to let the Hammerite cure fully. It takes a bit of manhandling to get the handle spring compressed so the roll pin can go in, not ideal with fresh paint.

Attachments

• 20201031_103515.jpg
    20201031_103515.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 4

Rockster57

I am not a fan of Hammerite. It's not easy to apply. It's very prone to runs, which would be a significant problem when painting ornate castings. The thinners/brush cleaner is horrendously expensive and worst of all, I find the finished surface chips too easily. I would certainly avoid using it in a "heavy traffic" environment such as a staircase.

It's all very subjective but personally I feel the suggestion to use (full) matt paint by a previous poster is good advice.

OP
OP
CharlesF

CharlesF

Guru
Hammerite, black satin, went on fine for me. I always apply paint sparingly when painting something like the balusters and brush down and up. Nothing touches the caste iron so it isn’t a heavy traffic item.

Anyway, after a lot of delays it is finished and won’t be touched for many years. Notice the highly polished brass handrail!!
E9880516-B72D-4901-97E9-46254B23451C.jpeg

Top Bottom