Strong tyre levers - any recommendations please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
While swapping around tyres between two bikes as well as fitting some new 26" Marathon+ tyres to my commuter at the weekend (and I've fitted them before so I knew what to expect) I still managed to see off three of my old black plastic tyre levers. I used a SpeedLever to help with part of the job, but I really needed a couple more strong levers to use alongside it.

Can anyone recommend some tyre levers? Preferably ones that don't bend like bananas or suffer from a straightening out of the 'spoon' end?

[Apols if this might have been better in Equipment section, but I'm thinking it might gather some comments on technique to go with the levers people mention!]

Mod Note July 2022:
Some products mentioned since this thread started, in 2013, have changed specs or are not longer available.
Please refer to the last pages of this thread for updated comments.

Last edited by a moderator:

Graham

I've used Park Tools and Cyclo and they are both good enough. Ebay has loads.

Fat Spanner heavy duty tyre levers. Strong enough to achieve any tyre removal task, but weak enough to fail before farking up the rims entirely if you get it badly wrong. None finer.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I've been a bit, well, lazy recently as far as cycling is concerned...... I'm getting back into things slowly.

Good to hear... the getting back into it.. not the lazy part :thumbsup:

OP
OP
beanzontoast
Will be getting some Park levers and I'm going to give the Var lever a try too. Even if I try working the tyre onto the far side of the rim right around the wheel, that last 6-8" of 'straight-line' beading is a pain to fit. I'd done the 'washing up liquid' trick but still popped one of the tubes doing it purely because it was so hard to get the beading into place. Looks like the Var could be a real help.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Pedros for really stiff tyres. Decathlon ones work well too. I carry the Pedros for the spiked tyres, decathlon fir the commuter snd some decent standard black ones for weekend as those tyres need not much more than thumbs to get off

Top Bottom