Strong tyre levers - any recommendations please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Daninplymouth

Another vote for a tyre glider. I think they make a modified version now if you have thicker rims. At first I thought it wouldn’t work on mine but I just needed to fit it at bit of an angle then it goes on and makes it so easy to reseat a gp5000, normally really struggle to get the last part of the tyre on

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
I've used all of the above fitting Schwalbe Marathon Pluses. Metal levers, plastic levers, those clever seating tools, the lot. The thing I take everywhere with me in my kit? ..... a teaspoon!

Just enough give in it not to scratch your rims, and strong enough not to snap. Whatever tools I start off using, I always seem to finally get the last bit of tyre on the rim with the handle of my trusty teaspoon. I never leave home without it.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I've used Tacx levers for about fifteen years. They work pretty well. The spoke hook is really beefy.

1658438505144.png

Broken giant, schwalbe, bontrager, tacx, cheapo halfords, Pedro and a few others. Currently got sks one and a few odd remnants of cheapo lever sets that feel so flimsy in use but somehow just seems to work and survive. I think I find I break half a set of levers then just carry whatever mix of brands I have to hand

In use I find the good makes have ease of use features such as better spoke hooks or a lever to help the tyres back on. IME neither of those are as important as not snapping. Anything that doesn't snap is good. Better than a good brand that does break.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
1658477476586.png

VAR for really difficult tyres. Otherwise Bontrager or Park tool. Tyre Glider OK for tyres that wouldn't have been too hard anyway.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Spoons - they're good. Forks less so - buggers for sticking in yer leg when they ping off.

GuyBoden

Guru
Holy thread Resurrection. PS I've a few sets of the Decathlon levers and really rate them.

Yes, I highly really rate them too, very good tyre levers for £2.99p, I have their older levers in blue, but I purchased a new yellow pair recently as a spare set. The Yellow pair are as good as the older blue tyre levers.:okay:

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Is that any good for mtb tyres ??
I have the black " scissors" type but they are not wide enough fur mtb tyres

I don't see why not, but I've only used them on road tyres up to 28mm. If at all possible I just use thumbs :okay:

GuyBoden

Guru
It's always easier to search for and resurrect a nine year old thread. Much easier than posting in a current thread.

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/tyre-levers-recommendation-please.286610/

Remember...we are now into school holiday season.

I disagree, searching previous posts and analysing the results is not easier than posting in a new thread.

Being able to search databases quickly is one of the big advantages of software. As a Software Engineer for over 30 years, I will always use this facility.:hello:

Top Bottom