Strong tyre levers - any recommendations please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lookrider

If you look at my picture it has both the scissor type and the var which is smaller

Your scissor type also look like they may accept a wider mtb tyre than the "" koolstop" one I have
The rim grip leg on the kool stop is relatively straight ...yours appears more curved so it will not foul the tyre as much as mine

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Anyone used pliers?
Pliers like those are purely for fitting difficult tyres, when you might otherwise be tempted to use a normal tyre lever to get the last bit of bead over the rim. There's also the Simson/Kool Stop type, and the Var lever (mediocre for removal. but considerably more portable than the al;ternatives if you know your tyre is difficult to fit)

For workshop/home use, I use Lezyne Saber levers

On the bike, I use two steel levers similar to these (guaranteed not to bend or break whilst removing even the tightest tyre).
If I know my tyre is a tight fit, I'll often take a Var lever as well.

My experience is that the levers that are flat section all the way along are a fair bit better than those that have a round central section.
I've also acquired a tyre glider, now in the saddlebag awaiting proper field testing (seemed OK at home).

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
It's always easier to search for and resurrect a nine year old thread. Much easier than posting in a current thread.

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/tyre-levers-recommendation-please.286610/

Remember...we are now into school holiday season.

I disagree, searching previous posts and analysing the results is not easier than posting in a new thread.

Being able to search databases quickly is one of the big advantages of software. As a Software Engineer for over 30 years, I will always use this facility.:hello:
Mod Note:
Threads now merged, lots of useful info under one roof.
Thank you to all contributors, from 2013 to 2022 and beyond ^_^

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the best tyre levers are these:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220727-091850~2.png
    Screenshot_20220727-091850~2.png
    32.5 KB · Views: 8

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Mod Note:
Threads now merged, lots of useful info under one roof.
Thank you to all contributors, from 2013 to 2022 and beyond ^_^
Some of 2013's levers are no longer around or have changed design. Hiding current info on the end of an old thread seems unhelpful, as well as all the merged posts being marked "new" for those of us who already read them. Could some note be added to the first post suggesting to check the end for current products, please?

Top Bottom