Struggling a bit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Priscilla Parsley

hello cycling folk,

I am underway in training for a triathlon, 2 sprints for late spring and an Olympic one end of summer, I am finding with the weather and darkness that I am not really spending much/anywhere near enough time on the bike. I live in Manchester south/central and i just dont know where to ride, i am easily bored and only cycle to wythenshaw and Salford cos thats what I know. does anyone have any motivational tips and even better does any one know good routes> i want to work on 20 - 25 milers at the mo so i feel i cant get very far away. thanks

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
South Central - erm go past Wythenshawe out to Styal and loop back.... Loads.....

You could also do a local circuit - find one with few traffic lights, and even do it twice if you don't want to go far.

You say South central ? Where abouts (even if it's an 'ish)

OP
OP
Priscilla Parsley

Priscilla Parsley

I'm in whalley range I know wythenshawe quite well, how far is styal from the civic/brownley rd way? is this route lit? do you know any good resourses for mapping local routes or even a book recommendation?

I really find it difficult to find anyhwere local with limited traffic lights so I think I am best on a bigger loop even if I dont get into it for for few miles

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Hi PP
Firstly a cycling buddy(s) are really important for getting-out regularly in the dark or inclement weather. A local club may help. Clubs may also do indoor roller-racing for example which all helps with fitness and motivation.
In terms of routes, I don't know your area, but I find city centre-ish cycling good in the dark evenings, places where there is good lighting, plenty of bus lanes and interesting "wild-life/buildings/smells of restaurants" etc rather than poorly lit rural areas. Sprinting between traffic-lights is good interval training.

Me and a coupl of mates do 25 miles on a Sunday Night, depart 8.00. The roads are quiet, we race into and around Oxford and then back home. Plenty to look at, and time/space to chat as we pedal.

OP
OP
Priscilla Parsley

Priscilla Parsley

a cycling buddy would be good so will keep my ears or eyes pealed, elvis does his best but he works on my only day off and my cycling club only cycle on sundays at he mo when i work, i have requested that we cycle on tuesday nights instead of drinking at the social but its falling in deaf ears, i think i will sacrifice one running session so I can get a nice daylight ride.

wlc1

Why are you looking at 25 plus miles on the bike straight away... work you way up to it.

I did 2 sprints this year and you really can get away with not doing much... the olympic is different though. Finding someone to ride with is important or use your commute as training - thats what I do.... yea I turn up to work with all the clobber on but it saves me time elsewhere.

therams

I cant remember all the road names, but it you head to the Airport (near wythenshawe) just off Wilmslow Road (A538) there are lots of nice country roads that head towards Knutsford. The attached image shows where they start.

I would not fancy riding them in the dark, but in the day you see lots of cyclists out.

OP
OP
Priscilla Parsley

Priscilla Parsley

wlc1 said:
Why are you looking at 25 plus miles on the bike straight away... work you way up to it.

I did 2 sprints this year and you really can get away with not doing much... the olympic is different though. Finding someone to ride with is important or use your commute as training - thats what I do.... yea I turn up to work with all the clobber on but it saves me time elsewhere.

I want to do 25 miles once a week becuase i feel i need to get comfortable with the distance and then i can work on speed, my mon to fri commute is v short but i have longer ones on thurs night and sunday 16 mile round trip, where I try and work on my speed, i have been doing intervals at the gym, although the sprint distances are not very long i am using them for prep for the olypic distance which is my big goal, i want a respectable time at the mo i can only maintain 15 mph average over 10 miles and i want to do much more than this, especially as i want to do the time trials with bucs next year and those times are much faster.

your right, I think a training partner is something i really need to find, but the only people i know who are serious about cycling are MUCH faster than me so i think i am at a funny stage at the mo, i was thinking of joining manchester tri club in february but im a bit worried that im too rubbish

OP
OP
Priscilla Parsley

Priscilla Parsley

therams said:
I cant remember all the road names, but it you head to the Airport (near wythenshawe) just off Wilmslow Road (A538) there are lots of nice country roads that head towards Knutsford. The attached image shows where they start.

I would not fancy riding them in the dark, but in the day you see lots of cyclists out.

yes it seems that south south manchester is the way to go, ill get planning so i can get out on saturday, thankyou

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Recommend Princess Road, Barlow Moor Road and Palletine Road to take you to Northenden, then you can either head down Longley Lane and over the Heald Green / Styal Road, or Northenden, past Wythenshawe Park, then onto the main road A56 to Altrincham, but turn left down towards Hale and then work out a loop back to Styal road... past the back of the airport. Plenty of options there. Just don't get onto the busy part of the parkway !!

OP
OP
Priscilla Parsley

Priscilla Parsley

i have been meaning to for a while but there is such a long wait for taster sessions at the moment, but yes, never saw it as a work out opportunity as too concerned about the near vertical track!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Priscilla Parsley said:
your right, I think a training partner is something i really need to find, but the only people i know who are serious about cycling are MUCH faster than me so i think i am at a funny stage at the mo, i was thinking of joining manchester tri club in february but im a bit worried that im too rubbish

PP
Don't think this. If they're a half decent club they put you with people prepared to bring you up to speed. Club riding/training is the fastest way to improve, no doubt. I've helped "Coach" several friends (30/40/50 y/olds) who have wanted to get into cycling, we now have a small regular group of Sunday night riders which really helps motivation, but I've also taken them to my local cycle club where they've learned so much in 1 season I can't keep up with any of the buggers now! The club is/has been really supportive of newbies whether Lance-alikes or riders of a "steadier" pace like me! Don't limit yourself to a Tri-only club, we used to have many Triatheletes (particularly girls) who were regulars at our cycle-only club.

OP
OP
Priscilla Parsley

Priscilla Parsley

Fab Foodie said:
PP
Don't think this. If they're a half decent club they put you with people prepared to bring you up to speed. Club riding/training is the fastest way to improve, no doubt. I've helped "Coach" several friends (30/40/50 y/olds) who have wanted to get into cycling, we now have a small regular group of Sunday night riders which really helps motivation, but I've also taken them to my local cycle club where they've learned so much in 1 season I can't keep up with any of the buggers now! The club is/has been really supportive of newbies whether Lance-alikes or riders of a "steadier" pace like me! Don't limit yourself to a Tri-only club, we used to have many Triatheletes (particularly girls) who were regulars at our cycle-only club.

thanks for the encouraging advice, you are right a club is the only way to push myself, even if im out with EP I can easily get away without trying my best, and free wheeling a little too freeley, its just daunting joining a club but I will have to get over it. a sunday night club sounds brilliant

Top Bottom