Struggling up hills.....Can I change gearing ratio etc. to make it easier ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Same 105 mech as mine then. It'll take the 12-30

Thanks.
So...............honest opinion........would going for the 12-30 make a noticeable difference ??
I realise you dont know me or my abilities (or lack of :smile: ) so just an opinion wanted really.
Again......many thanks.

MikeW-71

Veteran
Definately yes. I'm very glad I fitted one for the Yorkshire hills.

Wiggle are doing them for 12 quid, cheap change to make.

You can go full on 'ventoux' gearing. Keep the chainset as is, go for a 30 + tooth big sprocket in the cassette. Just ensure your rear mech and chain are big enough:thumbsup:.

potsy

Rambler
Thanks.
So...............honest opinion........would going for the 12-30 make a noticeable difference ??
I realise you dont know me or my abilities (or lack of :smile: ) so just an opinion wanted really.
Again......many thanks.
It will make a difference but it won't be that dramatic ime, have done the same on my bike.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Double check the exact version of your RD - the number is stamped on the back (inside) somewhere.

Mine was specified as 5700 but when I had a look it was a 5701 (it's a 2012 bike) so yours could well be a 5701 which can take a 32T.

ayceejay

Guru
Definitely change only one thing at a time so that you can pin point where the difference is, and make sure to keep the cassette or chain ring you are changing so that you can put it back on when you are fitter. If you are riding with flat pedals a change here might make a difference as you will have a more complete pedaling technique.

clid61

Veteran
what pedals and shoes are you wearing , might seem daft but matters . i run compact with 8 speed 11 32 on rear . spd sl cleats and pedals

clid61

Veteran
^^^+1

doog

Thanks.
Again......many thanks.

Ive done it on both my road bikes to get up the North Dorset hills...a big difference, I can tackle anything within reason...a Tiagra 12-30 cassette is £12 as stated above....do it !!!^_^

KneesUp

Guru
I have a 22 / 30 as my bottom gear, and that's with 26 wheels, so about 18.5 inch gear. I have only used it once (on a loaded bike) but it's nice to know it's there. There is no such thing as too low a gear imho :smile:

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Ive done it on both my road bikes to get up the North Dorset hills...a big difference, I can tackle anything within reason...a Tiagra 12-30 cassette is £12 as stated above....do it !!!^_^

I am going to show my ignorance here (again :smile: )
Why Tiagra as against 105s........which all my gearing is ?

Last edited:
Top Bottom