Struggling up hills.....Can I change gearing ratio etc. to make it easier ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeW-71

Veteran
I am going to show my ignorance here (again :smile: )
Why Tiagra as against 105s........which all my gearing is ?
Shimano don't make a 105 12-30 in 10 speed. Hence, use the Tiagra one, there is no difference at all in shifting.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Shimano don't make a 105 12-30 in 10 speed. Hence, use the Tiagra one, there is no difference at all in shifting.
Thanks for that.
I have just been "googling" it and thought that must be the case.
Tiagra...............£11.00 ish
Ultegra..............£30.00 ish
I will ask my lbs for a price as, if I fit it, I am likely to find I have fitted it back-to-front & up-side-down (my nick name at home is Mr Bean :smile: )

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
That's what I thought when I drove around it.
Somehow............since I decided to cycle around it some b*+@<d had gone around putting hills in :sad:
Ha ha - that was my reaction when people used to describe the Cheshire-based Manchester 100 route as 'pan flat' - it has about 3,000 ft of climbing in 100 miles. Ok, it is flat compared to round here, but if I bought a pan that was that lumpy then I'd demand a refund! :okay:

KneesUp

Guru
My geography teacher at school used to go mad if you described anywhere as "flat". "It's not 'flat', boy - it's undulating".

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Ha ha - that was my reaction when people used to describe the Cheshire-based Manchester 100 route as 'pan flat' - it has about 3,000 ft of climbing in 100 miles. Ok, it is flat compared to round here, but if I bought a pan that was that lumpy then I'd demand a refund! :okay:

@ColinJ Loads of people get off and push their bikes up that speedbump near Styal on the Manchester 100.

I was out round your way (to Widdop) the other week on my TT rig, I'll admit, I did curse my mate who was leading the way, for taking me up so many short steep hills on a bike with limited "easy" gearing, the day after racing :tongue: Lovely out there though.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
@ColinJ Loads of people get off and push their bikes up that speedbump near Styal on the Manchester 100.
That one brought me to a dead stop the first time I encountered it. I bombed down the hill before the RH bend in the big ring and then the road just reared up in front of me and my legs went!

I was out round your way (to Widdop) the other week on my TT rig, I'll admit, I did curse my mate who was leading the way, for taking me up so many short steep hills on a bike with limited "easy" gearing, the day after racing :tongue: Lovely out there though.
That is one of my favourite local roads but there are a couple of steep little climbs along there, right enough.

Last edited:

doog

I am going to show my ignorance here (again :smile: )
Why Tiagra as against 105s........which all my gearing is ?

as stated by others. I did a direct replacement on my 105 CAAD10..adjusting the B screw was all that was needed..if at all.

Current 105 is 11speed. For 10 speed you need current Tiagra, but shops may stock old 10spd 105 cassette.
There is no difference between 10spd 105 and 10spd Tiagra cassettes, I imagine the tooling is identical, they just rename.
SRAM 10spd cassettes work just as well.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
As @TheDoctor says, a new cassette is the way to go. Check out the specs of your rear derailleur. These should tell you the max sprocket that it can deal with and its capacity (amount of slack it can deal with). Hopefully you can fit an 11-32 cassette which will require a capacity of 37 Teeth (50+32) - (34+11) and a max sprocket of 32.

If your RD can't cope with it, then a new long cage RD won't break the bank. (£25 ish?)

You will need a new chain too as your existing chain won't be long enough.

Without checking I'd guess that you'd be spending about £30 on parts ... plus LBS labour, plus another few quid if you need a new mech

Gearing is very personal, but IMO there's a big difference between 30/28 (~32") gear and a 30/32 (~28") gear. My personal gear-ometer says that "low" doesn't start until below 30". 30"-40" and above is "medium-low". But that's just me.

I'd go for it.
Been to LBS and they are quoting £100ish for a new 11-32 plus cage and other bits...............sound expensive but it is something I dont want to touch.
I have just posted on the mechanics/repairs section for thoughts on this quote...........many thanks

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Been to LBS and they are quoting £100ish for a new 11-32 plus cage and other bits...............sound expensive but it is something I dont want to touch.
I have just posted on the mechanics/repairs section for thoughts on this quote...........many thanks

Why don't you want to touch?
It really is an easy job to change over. You Tube is your friend.
Save yourself some money Dave.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Why don't you want to touch?
It really is an easy job to change over. You Tube is your friend.
Save yourself some money Dave.

Well...........if I tell you my nick name at home is Mr Bean that will explain a lot :rolleyes:
The bike was my retirement present @ £1800.00 and I want to KNOW it is set up properly.
I would also need some tools so would have to factor in that cost.
Having said that.........I will You Tube it.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I don't know the going rate but £50 for bits and £50 for labour doesn't seem unreasonable. Others may differ in their view of what's reasonable.

Top Bottom