Struggling with compact chainset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HorTs

Über Member
I'll be moving from a triple to a double (because there isn't an Ultegra 6800 triple as yet) and I've been worrying a little but did the calcs (as above) and worked out that I shouldn't have too much of a change on my lowest gear.

It might just be psychological; you know there isn't another gear there so feel its harder?

BSRU

A Human Being
My last bike had a compact chainset unlike my other two bikes which have triples.
I tried it for a two hundred miles but could not get on with it, so changed to a triple set up.
The lowest gear was not a problem as it is similar to the triples, I didn't like the need for changing between the granny ring/big ring in normal riding especially when needing to stop for junctions/lights. Also having a triple means I can use a cassette with a smaller range giving smaller incremental gear changes.
I think using bikes with triples when trying to get used to the compact did not help.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Hi :smile:

Disagree

Got 3rd place in the AAA (mountain climbing) or Audax Altitude Award in the season a few year back and loved my triple crankset, did similar the next few years after on a compact and hated it, just to much hard work for me climbing hills all day on a compact chainset.

But thats just me :smile:

Ah but trying to save the chap some cash. I don't ride compact or triple. I find a 39 x 24 suits me fine ! But that's just me !:tongue:

Cubist

Still wavin'
I have had two compacts and a triple. On one it was a 50 34 over an 11-32 cassette, 9 speed. It had massive holes in the available gears, so much so that on long steady inclines (and there's a lot of those round here) I had to really hunt for a moderate climbing gear. Swapping chainrings meant two or three mending changes at the back. It was however great for spinning up steep stuff.

Next I had a triple, with a 30t granny and a 12-27 10 speed cassette. Sweet changes, only one mending change required between chainrings, and still a decent bottom gear forthe steep stuff.

The new bike didn't come with a triple option, and has a bottom gear of 34/30. I'm back to one or two mending shifts between chainrings, but I seriously don't miss the extra 2 teeth very often. I put that down to a bit more fitness.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Just been out to have a look and I've lied. The new bike has a 10 speed 11-32. No wonder I didn't miss the bottom gear.........:whistle:

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Pj,

I live near and probably ride the same hills as you and yes it's a pain with a compact - what some of these posters don't know about are the long steepish drags of Manchester Rd ( 5 miles at a guess maybe 7% average? And 13% bits of about 1/2 mile at a time.) try standing up for that long...it's very tiring.

Then there's Bacup Rd and Rossendale Rd etc etc, so yep you'll miss your triple. I'd recommend going for the smallest front ring (30 or 28t) and as big as you can get for the back and offset the cost with selling your existing whilst they're in 1st class condition.

That said I do ride those hills ss now and make a do but it's taken me 8 years to get to that point.

Alun

Guru
You could always change the rear cassette and rear derailleur for MTB components, you would probably need a new chain as well, but changing back to a triple might be too expensive as you would need chainset, front derailleur, maybe rear derailleur and also new shifter, which is expensive.

OP
OP
Pjays666

Pjays666

Über Member
Pj,

I live near and probably ride the same hills as you and yes it's a pain with a compact - what some of these posters don't know about are the long steepish drags of Manchester Rd ( 5 miles at a guess maybe 7% average? And 13% bits of about 1/2 mile at a time.) try standing up for that long...it's very tiring.

Then there's Bacup Rd and Rossendale Rd etc etc, so yep you'll miss your triple. I'd recommend going for the smallest front ring (30 or 28t) and as big as you can get for the back and offset the cost with selling your existing whilst they're in 1st class condition.

That said I do ride those hills ss now and make a do but it's taken me 8 years to get to that point.
That is what I am struggling with. Living at the summit it doesn't matter where I go I either have Manchester rd, rossendale road, bacup rd or tod rd, I think my easiest is Burnley road from rawtenstall and that even has 10 or 13% bits. I go over crown point quite a bit. The hills were getting easier but I still don't particularly like them, but living where we do we have to accept it and think of the benefits

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Pj,

Then try sitting down :P

Profpointy

Legendary Member
With the caveat that i've not owned a so called "compact" - but have owned traditional double - 10 speed back in the day -the basic problem is that out of the shop I'd say most so called "road" bikes come with gearing better suited to Mr wiggins than the rest of us - especially beginers. Some people, especially salesmen funilly enough will run some numbers claiming 34 on the front with 32 on the back is lower than having 30 on the front and 24 of whatver on the back - but this totally misses the point. I'd want something closer to 28 front 32 back so i can twiddle up anything, with luggage if needs be, my old triple was 30/28 and that was no where near low enough. The advent of mountain bike gearing (triples) on tour oriented bikes is far more sensible for many of us, but seemingly not readily availble on off the peg "road" bikes.

Fine for you fit young fellas, & racers but low gears are good, and you can't get low gears sensibly on a double.

And as for a 53/11 high gear - if the downhill's steep enough to turn that, i'm going to be worried abou the brakes rather than the gears.

MikeG

Guru
.......... I'd say most so called "road" bikes come with gearing better suited to Mr wiggins than the rest of us....

Not a great example, as he is one the riders noted for having a high cadence, thus typically riding in a lower gear than most of the rest of the pelaton. But we know what you mean........

e-rider

crappy member
Hi all I have been riding a hybrid with a triple for the last 20 months. Having just picked up my new road bike which has a compact I find that when climbing I am looking for a smaller gear that isn't there. Is this common , will I get used to it or will I have to change to triple? I have only had bike for a couple of weeks and only done 3 rides but living where I do hills are unavoidable
move to Norfolk; you only need a 53T ring there

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
That is what I am struggling with. Living at the summit it doesn't matter where I go I either have Manchester rd, rossendale road, bacup rd or tod rd, I think my easiest is Burnley road from rawtenstall and that even has 10 or 13% bits. I go over crown point quite a bit. The hills were getting easier but I still don't particularly like them, but living where we do we have to accept it and think of the benefits
Ha! I live right at the top...so yeah I know the hills well, I'm not far from the reservoir. I'm going back to using spinning gears.

Top Bottom