Struggling with hills

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rider Rich

Hi All

I am new the the road riding scene, and have recently bought a 2009 Trek 1.9 double compact.

As I knew nothing about road bikes when I purchased the above bike I asked the advice of my LBS as to which model to get, the compact or triple version. The guy in the shop advised me that the compact would be better.

I have only done about 170 miles so far (about 14 or so rides), my longest ride being 21 miles, but I am really struggling with hills. Even in the smallest gear I find it a struggle, and on bigger hills I have had to get off and push! This has done nothing for my confidence.
icon_sad.gif

I am quite heavy at 16 stones, and this probably does not help, but I did'nt struggle so badly on my old hybrid. I really thought it would be easier than it is on my Trek 1.9.

Have I made a big mistake by getting the compact over the triple? Will it get easier as I keep on riding?

As I live in Warlingham in Surrey I can't really get away from hills.

Any advice or comments appreciated

Cheers, Richard

Bigtwin

Persevere. It will get easier. Bikes's fine I'm sure, 11-25 on a compact is fine for Surrey.

Keep going - couple of weeeks and you will wonder what all the fuss was about.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Hey Richard, welcome aboard. :biggrin:

I was in the same boat a few years ago. Just get out there and put the miles in. Pick a hill, then ride up it in a low gear. Ride a week or so, then go up the same hill in 1 gear higher, before you know it you will be dancing on the pedals on the big ring without a care in the world. :biggrin:

That is the time to find a BIGGER hill....:blush:

Hi Warlingham!

I'm sure you'll grow into them, tho' it does take some effort to begin with.

I had three attempts at a hill which I can ride up without any problem now - it's not even something I think when I decide to rideout that way.
Persevere, and work up to it, it'll be fun trying to get farther up than last time - take it as a challenge!

Go DOWN Tithepitshaw, (not up!), Godstone Road, Downs Ct road, (Not St James's :blush: ), Mitchley Avenue....

Try something like this, and watch your improvement over the weeks....soon you'll be going UP Tithepitshaw Lane...:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Good evening Richard :blush:

As the others have said, keep on practicing. It does get easier but the weight will always be an issue for the likes of us :biggrin: I would advise you to ride around spinning in low gears up hills. Obviously there may be some that are a real struggle, even in 1st gear! If you have to stop to get your breath back then so be it. I did a solo 40+ miler down through Godstone and back up via Chipstead and Banstead a few weeks ago on a warm Saturday morning. Hard going I can tell you but your legs will get stronger in time. I also ride a CT double and am heavier than you... yet to master the art of hill climbing but it's a good goal to set yourself. Haven't tried Boxhill yet but it's on my "to tackle" list!

Right - I have waffled enough and I have no doubt that Jimboalee will be along with some witchcraft soon about what wattage you need to output to climb a 10% at 8mph :biggrin: Come on Jimbo... lets be having you!

Cheers,
SD

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
A triple would have been easier, but it is a wee bit late. Main thing is to keep at it and you will improve, getting in distance helps...

16 stone on an inner 39(presumably) is extremely difficult on the really steep parts.You have picked the right bike -perhaps get a smaller inner chainring as a temporary solution until the weight/fitness situation improves.

I give you month before you wonder what you were talking about!
In the first week of riding again I was either pushing or on the smallest gear on my commute home, 6 weeks on I am on the big ring in 3rd. It does get a lot easier as your fitness improves surprisingly quickly. I think the best tip I had was to put it in lowest gear and do not look at the hill, look at the front wheel as it makes you more relaxed for some reason - whoever on here said that - gold star!

jimboalee

Had a look on the map. Succombs hill :smile: Mapsource says it rises 10m in 31m :ohmy::ohmy: The proverbial 'staircase'..:ohmy::ohmy::ohmy: 1:7 = 14% average for 0.2 mile :ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:

When you can get up this one....( cus yer bike doesn't have the gearing )?? , then your ready for a local Audax.:biggrin:

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
yep if your bottom gear is a 34 ring and 25 tooth combo then that's about a 36 inch gear. The triple version would only have given you two easier gears, about a 33 inch and a 29 inch. If it would fit, changing cassettes to a 13-29 would give you almost the same range at the bottom.

Having grown up in Whyteleafe I'd suggest that using Succumbs Hill for training will soon give you legs for any hill you care to imagine.

Top Bottom