Struggling with hills

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sam Kennedy

Hmm I haven't checked this topic in a few days... I never knew I needed to study 17 pages to climb a hill xx(

All I know (and I may be wrong) is that trying to climb a hill in a high gear with a low cadence (which is what I preferred) can cause problems with your knee caps and joints.

I think a lower gear with higher cadence is better because you don't end up with dodgy legs, and its more aerobic than anaerobic, so it will be better for your general fitness.

Of course there is all that formula stuff and sciency research things which will prove this wrong, but I like to keep it simple :laugh:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Sam Kennedy said:
Hmm I haven't checked this topic in a few days... I never knew I needed to study 17 pages to climb a hill xx(

All I know (and I may be wrong) is that trying to climb a hill in a high gear with a low cadence (which is what I preferred) can cause problems with your knee caps and joints.

I think a lower gear with higher cadence is better because you don't end up with dodgy legs, and its more aerobic than anaerobic, so it will be better for your general fitness.

Of course there is all that formula stuff and sciency research things which will prove this wrong, but I like to keep it simple :laugh:

Hey! Good learnings, despite the headbanging going on around here. If you can't spin the pedals then you may need some lower gearing options.

(FWIW, I'm with Rando...)

jimboalee

Sam Kennedy said:

I have quoted this before on a previous thread, but....

Sheldon Brown ( and others ) forward the suggestion that when climbing a hill, the legs should not feel any different than riding on the flat. That is IF the gear is correct.
This implies the cadence is the same and the power output is the same.

To choose your climbing gear, you need to know the cadence you cruise at AND your power output.

There is a spreadsheet on the CTC website which calcs power for ALL?? situations. It's called Powercalc.xls.

If you type in your particulars and your cruising speed on the flat, it will tell you your power. ( I built a spreadsheet many years before this one, which correlates closely ).
Then copy that row and type in a %grade. Adjust the speed to get the same power as before. Using that speed, calc the gear length that should be used if the cadence remains the same.

But many riders exert more power up a hill because it IS a hill. They want to maintain speed, not consistant cadence and power output.

Raceboys 'honk'. It assists by exerting more power and keeps the speed up.
Tourists use low gears, for sustained riding.

Audax riders do a mixture of the two.

http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=3523

Download the spreadsheet and have a play.

jimboalee

jimboalee said:
I have quoted this before on a previous thread, but....

Sheldon Brown ( and others ) forward the suggestion that when climbing a hill, the legs should not feel any different than riding on the flat. That is IF the gear is correct.
This implies the cadence is the same and the power output is the same.

To choose your climbing gear, you need to know the cadence you cruise at AND your power output.

There is a spreadsheet on the CTC website which calcs power for ALL?? situations. It's called Powercalc.xls.

If you type in your particulars and your cruising speed on the flat, it will tell you your power. ( I built a spreadsheet many years before this one, which correlates closely ).
Then copy that row and type in a %grade. Adjust the speed to get the same power as before. Using that speed, calc the gear length that should be used if the cadence remains the same.

But many riders exert more power up a hill because it IS a hill. They want to maintain speed, not consistant cadence and power output.

Raceboys 'honk'. It assists by exerting more power and keeps the speed up.
Tourists use low gears, for sustained riding.

Audax riders do a mixture of the two.

http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=3523

Download the spreadsheet and have a play.

Is anyone having trouble with this spreadsheet ( Powercalc.xls )?

For example, copy down the details for "Tourist" into the first row. Copy them into a couple more rows.
Enter 24.0 kmh ( 14.9 mph ) in the speed column on the first row and the 'Power' W should be 120. This is an acceptable figure using my own calcs too.

Now type in 10 in the 'Slope %' column on the next row. Adjust the speed value until you get 120 Watts. You should have 4.15 kmh, or 2.6 mph.

Now as an example, you use a 42 x 19 ( 59") gear to ride 24 kmh at 86 Cadence.
According to well accepted theory, to ride at 86 cadence at 2.6 mph requires a 10" gear! A 12T chainring and a 33T sprocket.

Tell me if this is realistic?

bigjim

Legendary Member
I do find that pulling up on the pedals, if using clipless, does help on hills and takes pressure off my knees. Seems everybody has their own opinion and method re hill climbing whether it is having a walk or a breather, getting down to the gym and building those muscles up or fitting lower gearing to your bike. You could try the first lot on this list and if that does not work go down the change gearing road. Only you can make the decision as your fitness, motivation, personal finance etc are all relevent. Good luck with whatever you choose. Do not let the bit of barracking between posters stop you being a regular on these forums.

Jim

Top Bottom