Struggling with hills

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
R

Rider Rich

peanut said:
sorry Rich I didn't notice you had a 11-25t cassette in that case just remove the 14t and add a 27 or 28 to the back with a spacer.
Tell me what speed ie 9 or 10 spd your cassette is and I'll try find you the most economical way of doing it .
Your existing rear mech will cope with up to 28t sprocket .

Thanks Peanut. Its 10 speed 2009 kit.

peanut

so its a Ultegra 11-25t 10 speed yes
do you know how the sprockets run ?
god this is such hard work looking through all these posts Rich .
Ultegra apparently only do a 11-23 or a 12-25 ?
which is yours?

OP
OP
R

Rider Rich

As far as I know, my bike (Trek 1.9 2009 model) is fitted with a Shimano 105 11-25 rear cassette. It is the only non Ultegra part of the groupset.

Having looked at the Shimano website I believe the sprockets are as follows:

11-12-13-14-15-17-19-21-23-25T

They also do a replacement 105 12-27 cassette which I believe has the following sprockets:

12-13-14-15-16-17-19-21-24-27T

OP
OP
R

Rider Rich

Having looked on the Shimano website again I think you can get an Ultegra cassette with 12-27, but having looked at various cycle shop websites they seem to be running out of stock?

Some shops have them, and some dont. They work out at about £5.00 more expensive than the equivelant 105 cassette (105 - £44.99 & Ultegra - £49.99)

peanut

Rich I would suggest you buy a new cassette .You can save your old one for a spare wheel so that you have got an instant swap which can be useful at times.

Ribble do the 105 12-27t for £40 or £33.00 if you spend another £10.00
The Ultegra is £50 but because of the discount actually costs £42.00
I personally would buy the 105 cos I resent paying £10 extra for the identical cassette but its your choice.

The reason you had a 11tooth is probably because you have a compact chainset ie 50x34 ? in which case using a 12 up you will notice a difference on steep descents or very fast flat at 28mph and above as you'll spin out .

bigjim

Legendary Member
If you are totally into racing then maybe you need to do all these changes. If you just want to get out and enjoy riding your bike then I see no problem in getting off and walking up the steepest bits or stopping for a breather. You will get fitter anyway and walk less but there is always that hill that is bigger than you. I have been cycling on and off for years but am no hero. How much damage are you doing to your knees by pushing them to the limit? I was out last Sunday on my old Raleigh running 52x42 & 24x13 rear standard gearing & I had to get off and push once and stop once [on extremely steep country lanes] for a breather on a 70 mile ride. I've also asked about lower gear options but am now wondering whether to just push. I don't think my fitness levels will improve any more than they are now. I'm 14 stone and could not get any lower with a 6'2" frame. I do go to the gym and spend time on squats for leg strengh and core strength which helps. Years ago people thought nothing of pushing a bike up a very steep incline. Reading Josie Dews book, she still pushes up hills. Gives your legs a break and lets you enjoy the scenery.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Don't forget that if you remove the 11t sprocket and add a 27 (making the 12 or 13t the smallest in the cassette - you should change the lockring to a 12T+ one.

Randochap

Senior hunter
bigjim said:
If you are totally into racing then maybe you need to do all these changes. If you just want to get out and enjoy riding your bike then I see no problem in getting off and walking up the steepest bits or stopping for a breather. You will get fitter anyway and walk less but there is always that hill that is bigger than you. I have been cycling on and off for years but am no hero. How much damage are you doing to your knees by pushing them to the limit? I was out last Sunday on my old Raleigh running 52x42 & 24x13 rear standard gearing & I had to get off and push once and stop once [on extremely steep country lanes] for a breather on a 70 mile ride. I've also asked about lower gear options but am now wondering whether to just push. I don't think my fitness levels will improve any more than they are now. I'm 14 stone and could not get any lower with a 6'2" frame. I do go to the gym and spend time on squats for leg strengh and core strength which helps. Years ago people thought nothing of pushing a bike up a very steep incline. Reading Josie Dews book, she still pushes up hills. Gives your legs a break and lets you enjoy the scenery.

I'm sorry mate, but you've got everything bass ackwards.

First off, he's not a racer, that's why he needs to make the changes. The gears you have are closer to what a racer would use ... which is why you are having to get off and walk. Your lowest gear is 47" for crying out loud!

No cyclist is "pushing their knees to the limit" if they have gearing appropriate to the job. That's the whole point of this discussion (have you read any of it?) We're trying to help a fellow who is struggling on the hills ... like you are.

Why would I go riding only to have to walk? I don't want to push my bike up a hill. I go cycling to cycle, not slog up a hill on foot.

With all due respect, it sounds like you need to look into getting some lower gears yourself. Unless, you prefer walking, that is.

jimboalee

Randochap said:

First off, he's not a racer, that's why he needs to make the changes. The gears you have are closer to what a racer would use ... which is why you are having to get off and walk. Your lowest gear is 47" for crying out loud!

No cyclist is "pushing their knees to the limit" if they have gearing appropriate to the job. That's the whole point of this discussion (have you read any of it?) We're trying to help a fellow who is struggling on the hills ... like you are.

Why would I go riding only to have to walk? I don't want to push my bike up a hill. I go cycling to cycle, not slog up a hill on foot.

With all due respect, it sounds like you need to look into getting some lower gears yourself. Unless, you prefer walking, that is.

Well said.

Why get off and walk at 2 mph when you can appropriately gear the bike to ride at 3 mph?

If that's an old Raleigh Hi-ten, it will weigh in at about 27lb. It needs a 37" gear. That's 38T to 27T. AT LEAST.

bigjim

Legendary Member

What a shame you have to use such an agressive and rude tone in order to attempt to get your message across but I suppose it is a sign of the times. Yes I have read all the posts and do understand his problem. I never said he was a racer. I used the word "if". Please read the post correctly. I also noted that I used the gym to increase muscle mass which could be useful. I am fully aware of my gear ratios which were probably pretty limited when the bike was made. That is why I also considered changing. maybe if you spent more time reading the post instead of being so offensive you might be able to see that I was offering my own personal opinion [is that not one of the reasons we are on these forums] and attempting to help another member. He does not have to take your advice or mine. Why would you be so bothered about walking with your bike? Surely not afraid of somebodys opinion? Sit down and have a nice cup of tea. Relax. By the way I am not really struggling on hills. I just get off and walk a little bit. Have a nice relaxing day. Maybe a walk.

peanut

jimboalee said:
Make sure you get the correct spline pattern.
shimano are a standard spline pattern throughout the range from 8 speed to 10 speed hubs and cassettes Jimbo.
The only spline that isn't backwardly compatable is the Dura Ace alloy one and the OP doesn't have one.
You are probably thinking of that other Gruppo that isn't backwardly compatable ...starts with C :laugh:

Randochap

Senior hunter
bigjim said:
What a shame you have to use such an agressive and rude tone in order to attempt to get your message across but I suppose it is a sign of the times.

It's not a sign of anything other than the way I personally communicate my opinions. The "times" and place I was born is early 50s in the Midlands and, as someone else here correctly noted, that's where I get my straightforward manner. If you find my manner aggressive and rude ... that's more due to the fact that I called you out on the inconsistency of your thesis. Understandably your feathers got ruffled.

I still stand by my assertion that your post makes no sense and rather it is your opinion that the OP needn't change anything that is unhelpful. And the experience and gear you are basing that on is irrelevant, because it also does not appear to be right for climbing hills.

Again, if one has the correct gearing for the job, there is no need to walk a bike. I have walked a bike on one occasion. That was on a long 21% grade on loose gravel with a heavily loaded touring rig. I really should have had something lower than the 21" gear the bike came stock with.

To repeat the obvious: I don't want to walk on a bike ride. I want to ride. I go for quiet walks along the beach at the end of the street when I want to do so.

The only people I ever (rarely) see walking their bikes uphill are those who are obviously unfit and/or ... have gears unmatched to the terrain.

Finally, you are the irritable poster, because you can't admit that your "advice" was bogus and leave it at that.

peanut

Randochap said:
If you find my manner aggressive and rude ....

. This should not be another opportunity to attack other posters because their opinions do not coincide with our own.

As it happens I agree with you on this issue but I'm sufficiently content with my opinion that I do not need to put down someone else because they hold a view I do not agree with.

Lets try to keep this thread on topic and not alienate a new member

Top Bottom