Struggling with hills

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimboalee

peanut said:
shimano are a standard spline pattern throughout the range from 8 speed to 10 speed hubs and cassettes Jimbo.
The only spline that isn't backwardly compatable is the Dura Ace alloy one and the OP doesn't have one.
You are probably thinking of that other Gruppo that isn't backwardly compatable ...starts with C :biggrin:

That's OK Peanut.

It's idiot questions followed by concise answers that makes the whole learning experience for newbies so enjoyable.

:sad:;)

Randochap

Senior hunter
peanut said:
Lets try to keep this thread on topic and not alienate a new member

But it's OK for a new member to walk in, so to speak, dismiss others' ideas -- with faulty logic -- and expect not to be challenged on it?

I'm all for courtesy, but acquiescence not so much.

Sure, let's get back to cycling and appropriate ratios for climbing discussion. And just to show I bear no ill will, here's help for the "stick with the big gear" advocates.

bigjim

Legendary Member
I still stand by my assertion that your post makes no sense and rather it is your opinion that the OP needn't change anything that is unhelpful.
So no opinions on here then unless they are yours, in case they make no sense [to you]. Right. Got it.
By the way, just back from a 50 miler and did not have to walk any. Something I could not have done 2 years ago. Must be fitter. By the way thats an experience not an opinion. Hope that's alright?

peanut

bigjim said:
So no opinions on here then unless they are yours, in case they make no sense [to you]. Right. Got it.
By the way, just back from a 50 miler and did not have to walk any. Something I could not have done 2 years ago. Must be fitter. By the way thats an experience not an opinion. Hope that's alright?

comon Jim you're stirring it now :biggrin:
lets keep this thread on topic shall we or start one of your own

Randochap

Senior hunter
bigjim said:

Congratulations.

This argument has pretty much run its course and your attempt to extend it by misrepresenting my position speaks to the weakness of your original assertion.

Obviously, I have no say over opinions countenanced here, but I surely have equal right to debate their merits. How about staying with the original subject.

Garz

Squat Member
Rider Rich said:
Hi All

I am new the the road riding scene, and have recently bought a 2009 Trek 1.9 double compact.
I have only done about 170 miles so far (about 14 or so rides), my longest ride being 21 miles, but I am really struggling with hills. Even in the smallest gear I find it a struggle, and on bigger hills I have had to get off and push!
Any advice or comments appreciated

To improve hill climbing lately I designated one of my rides in the week to incorporate more work on them. The philosophy being pick a nice hill preferably long enough to cause a good sweat. You should just about be able to complete (i.e. not too easy otherwise you need a harder hill).

The one I use is about 12 miles away so when I get there im nicely warmed up. Upon completing take a route back down and go back up again. Your body will tell you when you've had enough and then its time to head back home.

You should see some improvement like one and half reps then maybe 2 reps etc until the hill is easy to do three or however many times over you want.

Eviljeem

I too am dreading hills, on my way to work it's pretty much downhill all the way, on the way back it's pretty much uphill all the way.

Start cycling to work on Monday, so my funeral should be Friday. All welcome.

jimboalee

Eviljeem said:
I too am dreading hills, on my way to work it's pretty much downhill all the way, on the way back it's pretty much uphill all the way.

Start cycling to work on Monday, so my funeral should be Friday. All welcome.

How steep?

bigjim

Legendary Member
comon Jim you're stirring it now :ohmy:
lets keep this thread on topic shall we or start one of your own
On topic. Shame to buy what you think is the bike for you and then have to spend more time and money altering it. As another poster suggested you can just take it easy and work up the sufficient fitness level to cope with the gearing. Or stick a cheapo £26 Suntour triple on it until you are comfortable moving on to something better. Or not. I know many insist that you should never have to get off the bike but if you want a rest why not? Early days it might be what changes a bike ride from enjoyable to torture. On some long rides my bum likes a rest not my legs.

bigjim

Legendary Member
Bigtwin said:
Persevere. It will get easier. Bikes's fine I'm sure, 11-25 on a compact is fine for Surrey.

Keep going - couple of weeeks and you will wonder what all the fuss was about.
If the hills are a long steady climb then I would stop when knackered and get your breath back for a few minutes. Climb back on and start again. You will soon find out that you are not stopping that much if at all.

Randochap

Senior hunter
bigjim said:
OK agree ...

Then you can't help yourself:

... but the guy does ask for it. It's not on trying to intimidate other posters from having a say.

You have to get a petulant dig in and again misrepresent my intentions. Seems it's you that doesn't want your "get off and walk" position challenged. And if someone does irritate you, they get your usual childish tantrum.

Unload the burden.

wood-chips.jpg

I'm done..

peanut

the only one being childish and petulant now, is you Rando .give it a rest why don't you ,
Don't take everything so personally.
I doubt the original poster will dare post anything in the future for fear of starting another 12 page 'teddy out the pram' episode ;)

peanut

well Randochap has now resorted to sending me threats by personal mail now . xx(

Perhaps its time that this thread was moderated ?

Fortunately i have my settings to ignore his posts in future :laugh:

Randochap

Senior hunter
peanut said:
well Randochap has now resorted to sending me threats by personal mail now . xx(

Perhaps its time that this thread was moderated ?

What is this, pile on Rando? Using the forum to discredit? You PM me, imperiously "suggesting" I "get some sensible perspective." I said I suggest you keep out of it.

That is not a "threat," it's a suggestion, just like yours.

Top Bottom