Stuck aluminium seat post in steel frame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
Ive tried brute force, boiling water and bashing with hammer and chisel. Is it removable?

A8240E62-E695-46F3-91E6-3E0779403A9C.jpeg

481BD3DF-7EA4-4D92-A68D-D2D4D16214A3.jpeg

Keith Oates

Janner
Get a hacksaw blade and run it up and down the inside of the seat post. It will take some time to cut it through but it can be done.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ive tried brute force, boiling water and bashing with hammer and chisel. Is it removable?

View attachment 395788

View attachment 395790
It is a shame that you haven't left any post protruding as you could have used it to fasten anything to it . As the previous person has said you do not have many options left , apart from using a hacksaw blade or a drill down the sides to make segments.
How long is the post ?
You could still try using some caustic soda solution to see if it could break through the seal between the steel frame and the ally seat post. You would have to plug the hole in the seat tube with something like plumbers mate or putty. Make a dam around the top of the frame by the post, and wearing protective gloves and goggles pour some solution around the post and leave it to work.
I was thinking of how you could grip the post once the solution has worked. You may be able to drill down vertically into the post and fit some self tapping screws which may allow you to rotate the post by using a bar between them. If you are lucky enough to see some movement, spray penetrating oil in and keep working it back and forth with slight upward pressure.

KneesUp

Guru
You need a tool that perhaps only exists in my head, and is called an umbrella puller if you want to yank it out. The 'tool' drops inside the postand then once past the post and into the frame you can expand it so it's legs touch the bottom edge of the post. Then pull it out. Sounds like the sort of thing you should be able to get to attach to a slide hammer but that's beyond my pay grade!

Or you could just dissolve it all.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
caustic soda solution to see if it could break through the seal between the steel frame and the ally seat post
From my recollection of that deranged YouTube vid, the caustic soda doesn't 'break the seal'; it simply dissolves the aluminium. This is definitely the solution of last resort, but it does seem to work.

OP
OP
jayonabike

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
It is a shame that you haven't left any post protruding as you could have used it to fasten anything to it .
That’s because I had the bike upside down with the seat post clamped in a vice. All it did was tear the post so I had to cut it off so there was no jagged edges.

OP
OP
jayonabike

jayonabike