studded tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jezston

Über Member
Would any of them fit with SKS narrow guards? I'm guessing no, but I'd probably consider them if they did.

Raceblades? I guess not as they are only specced to be used on tyre sizes up to 25. I have a pair and was just planning on getting a second set of the larger ones to go with these tyres. If I ever get any.

Friz

The more you ride, the less your ass will hurt.
Put mine on Saturday, bedded em in on Sunday and was going to take them back off for this morning. But when the water on my decking was frozen by 8 o'clock last night I figured I may as well leave em on...

I hit two spots on my way in this morning that would have been a bit techty..but I sailed right over them.

Looking forward to seeing how they perfrom on proper ice.

P.S. They're pretty useless offroad but then I guess you can't have everything..

Bman

Guru
After last year and the lack of stock, I ordered my studded tyres for the MTB a few months ago.

Now I feel prepared for the worst, it probably won't happen :rolleyes:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My snow studs are going on the MTB tonight, just in case. Cold and frosty this morning, winter kit out but absolutely fine on the 23mm road tyres.

As I have a choice of road, or off road to work, I went for snow studs - ice spikers were a bit overkill. Run them at 30 PSI and they tinkle their way down the roads.

My 3rd winter with them, and no sign of wear with the tungsten carbide studs. Wouldn't want to use them every day as they are heavy tough MTB tyres, not road derrived tyres.

Fresh snow or compact snow, and normal MTB tyres work well. Throw in tarmac and ice/frozen snow then this is where the studs bite.

e-rider

crappy member
After all the fuss last winter about studded tyres and a huge shortage in the UK, with people buying from Germany and Finland; I decided to wait until this summer.

All the UK online shops stocked-up heavily but it was too late and the snow had passed for much of the UK. And, quite predictably, they were sold off cheap back in June/July this year. I picked up some Marathon Winter tyres (700x35) for about £38 a pair!

CAN'T WAIT TO TRY THEM OUT - snow please!

PJ79LIZARD

Über Member
I'm making a dedicated snow bike. I wondered if the spikes were much better than the winters. I used my roadbike up until the snow fell last year, then I used my mtb. But all the salty grit trashed my mtb, I won't be using it in those conditions this year. So I've got a cheap mtb I've built up and I'm gonna stick some studded tyres on it for when it snows and freezes. I managed last year on my mtb but it was dangerous on side roads. I figured studded tyres must be an improvement worth investing in.

BSRU

A Human Being
I'm making a dedicated snow bike. I wondered if the spikes were much better than the winters. I used my roadbike up until the snow fell last year, then I used my mtb. But all the salty grit trashed my mtb, I won't be using it in those conditions this year. So I've got a cheap mtb I've built up and I'm gonna stick some studded tyres on it for when it snows and freezes. I managed last year on my mtb but it was dangerous on side roads. I figured studded tyres must be an improvement worth investing in.

That was my plan for this year, bought a £5 Saracen Vice MTB of EBay a few months ago, needed some tlc, then changed the tyres for Ice Spikers, so should make commuting on two wheels everyday this winter a little easier.

PJ79LIZARD

Über Member
My thoughts exactly! Mtb is near enough ready just got to get the tyres. Just wondered if anyone had used Schwalbe spikes and what they thought of them.

Stevejo

I remember seeing a video on Youtube last year on how to make your own studded tyres, basically drilling into the raised section of old MTB tyres and inserting wood screws from the inside, covered with tape. The demonstration after on a frozen lake was nothing short of incredible!

AlexB

Veteran
I ran Marathon Winters last year and they were excellent. The only thing I couldn't really cope with was very heavily rutted ice. Everything else I could ride right across. I was the downfall of at least one other cyclist who tried to follow mer across sheet ice and promptly fell off.
The only downside is that you have so much more grip and braking power thasn cars who see you making progress and close up too much. If I had to stop suddenly they would have just slid into the back of me.

The grip levels on ice is breathtaking, you can ride along, corner (leaning over), brake exactly as usual.

The stubs are short, about 2mm, and none of mine show significant wear and I didn't lose any.

They are VERY noisy though! You also get a damned good work out, because they are pretty hard work on clear roads.

Top Bottom