studded tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jim55

Guru
yep ,,its that time of yr (well up in glasgow anyway ),,really cold and theres been a bit of frost recently ,,itd not far off icy roads and i want to fit studded tyres for ice to the hybrid ,,so any links to the right (ie cheapest)place ,,wiggle ?:wacko:

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I am currently watching 'Will it snow?' on BBC 2 on another tab ATM, just trying to find out if it is worth investing in some.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Fitted mine tonight. Mine are snow studs, which are slower than marathon winters but have a bit more grip for when the white stuff falls. More importantly to me when i bought them was that they were in stock and the cheapest ones I could find.

I got mine from Chainreaction, but there's a few different suppliers. They were £5 cheper each last year though
ohmy.gif

Fitted mine tonight. Mine are snow studs, which are slower than marathon winters but have a bit more grip for when the white stuff falls. More importantly to me when i bought them was that they were in stock and the cheapest ones I could find.

I got mine from Chainreaction, but there's a few different suppliers. They were £5 cheper each last year though
ohmy.gif

Yup, but then last year nobody had any stock. Easy to sell them cheaper when you don't have any.

To OP, I had some marathon winters on backorder with Spa cycles which were delivered last week. £35 each delivered which was about the cheapest I've seen them.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
It makes me laugh when everything falls apart in London falls apart when we have 3mm of snow, yet in Cumbria and Scotland, where's 5 ft of snow, it's business as usual.

Not quite. Our workplace went onto emergency manning only for two days last year because of the ice and snow.

The fact that I managed to cycle in (without studs at that point, just a mtb) before finding out I had the day off when apparently it was "nearly impossible" to drive in according to my co-workers just cemented my reputation for being crazy
laugh.gif

We are getting towards the time of year when they close the fell road because of ice. That usually causes long tail backs on the main road at in and out muster for a few months - and no change at all to my commuting speed
smile.gif

snorri

Legendary Member
whereas the likes of Canada get 12ft and its business as usual ;)

It actually depends which part of Canada. I was on the west coast when they had 27 inches (it was before I went metric!) and there was chaos, and that was without any wind, they just were not used to it there. It's a different story in the interior of course.:biggrin:

aoj

I am currently watching 'Will it snow?' on BBC 2 on another tab ATM, just trying to find out if it is worth investing in some.

After last year I bought some from Wiggle months ago. So it definitely will not snow this year now!

We had frost here on the East coast of Scotland last night.

Do studded tyres work on frost or just ice and snow?

I've found the Marathon winters at their best on ice/compacted snow and frosty mornings - very slippery conditions and with a danger of black ice being around. Sort of conditions that are tricky to even walk on. Not a very open tread on them so don't perform as well in deeper snow.

The conditions on untreatd side roads we had were difficult to cycle on too, rutted, lumpy ice with a layer of snow over the top - but I don't think it would have made much difference whatever type of tyres were on it.

Jezston

Über Member
Just an FYI for anyone who is interested - I'm still working on a source of 32mm Nokian A10 studded tyres and plan to organise a group buy, so if anyone is after something a bit narrower than the Schwalbe Marathon Winters that I believe only go down to 37mm drop me a PM.

Should admit I am struggling a bit. Distributor themselves is not interested and most of the shops in Germany and Finland I've contacted either aren't doing the 32mm version or aren't doing them in 700c.

amaferanga

Veteran
I thought about getting some, but then I managed last winter to commute every day (Sheffield/Peaks) - only resorted to the mtb for a couple of days even so figure I'll make do without again this year. What are studded tyres like on snow/ice free roads? I'm guessing they'd wear down pretty quickly?

potsy

Rambler
I thought about getting some, but then I managed last winter to commute every day (Sheffield/Peaks) - only resorted to the mtb for a couple of days even so figure I'll make do without again this year. What are studded tyres like on snow/ice free roads? I'm guessing they'd wear down pretty quickly?

The studs are carbide so will last a long time, unless you go offroading on their 'bedding in' ride and lose a load :blush:

Jezston

Über Member

I believe the deal is - as the studs are out at the sides slightly, you raise the tyre pressure when it's not so icy so they aren't in contact with the road surface, then lower the pressure depending on how icy/snowy it is to bring the studs into contact with the ice.

Studs should be made of pretty damn serious metal though so shouldn't wear out any time soon.

Top Bottom