Studded winter tyres?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
put a few clips together. brought the camera stick for some fun bits down low. Saturday was a pretty busy day from Bedford to Arlington, MA on the Minuteman Commuter Bikeway. caution, this is a long boring video (7 1/2 min.) but does feature some brief highlights that I hope are interesting to others. I might make a shorter edit at some later date. traction was very good, probably didn't need the studs, but they're on, so let winter bring it's worst!

View: https://youtu.be/wupnuCQ6dYA

Last edited:
Talking of winter tyres, is anybody aware of studded tyres that come in 28mm widths?
I've googled, but they all seem to be in much wider tyres and my Ribble winter/audax frame, just takes 28mm tyres.

As a victim to black ice a couple of years ago, it would increase my confidence a tad when the temps plunge.
Thanks
Is it one of the blue 'Audax' frames?
If so, you'll probably have issues fitting anything larger than a '23', if you want to keep mudguards

Mine used to clog up with road-silt, & really sap my 'power'
Ribble. 7005. 1.JPG

However,it got superceded in early 2017, with a first generation CGR, that will probably take '45' with mudguards?
I run it on '28' Marathons, as it gets a lot of rides through the Woods near home

Along the banks of the River Calder, from 'Stanley Ferry'
Road-Trip. 96.jpg

OP
OP
Sharky

Sharky

Guru
Is it one of the blue 'Audax' frames?
If so, you'll probably have issues fitting anything larger than a '23', if you want to keep mudguards
Yes a classic blue ribble audax bike.
I've stopped using mudguards since I retired as I can pick and choose dry days to go out.
My current tyres are Conti City Contacts 28mm

The studded tyre I bought is a 30mm tyre and although it looks like it might just fit, I've found the tyre so inflexible, that I can't get it past the brake blocks. Would have to remove a brake block or loosen the cable to get it in. Beginning to think that it is not worth the effort, especially as we have had a very mild winter so far.

I agree, if fenders are added to a bike w studded tires, you really need more clearance than when used for rain only
hybrids & MTBs are good for that
snow consistency varies so much but when it does wedge in, coating the underside of the fenders, one needs a long flexible device (stick, wire, other) to clear it & who rides w/ that?

Top Bottom