Studded winter tyres?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Maxxis Minions

I thought they were one of Dick Dastardly's adversaries

sometimes I have to let some air out of a tire to get them past brakes & I agree Shwalbe Marathon Winters are not soft! I use them on my hybrid as well as my MTB. the year before last I mounted them too early & they were a drag. last year I mounted them early on the hybrid & only used that bike as my "ice bike". I wound up waiting very long before mounting them on the MTB. I enjoyed the MTB much more tho (before my fall)

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Love my winter spike tyres when it's like this!

They're slow and heavy but give me confidence. I've had the front one on a spare wheel, but will have both on spare wheels this winter.

You will just come off at a higher speed.
You won't come off at all. You can break in a shorter distance on sheet ice no problem.
Careful when you put your foot down on ice, i nearly fell on the dog once.

Last edited:
Ice spikers are designed for snow and ice and have 4 rows of studs.
The marathon type spike tyres come in 2 rows or 4 rows.
The two row tyres were adequate until I found myself on ice with a thin layer off snow on top. I couldn't get out of the tyre ruts. As it happened if I had moved over into the drift I would have had no problem. A bit further on I cycled through 6 inch of snow okay apart from an occasional spin on the back wheel. I find ice spikers are best all rounders and as there knobalys great off road. I have to use the marathon type on the electric bike with 4 rows of studs. 2 years maximum as they loose studs and some studs start to turn into the tyre and they have to be removed. They cannot be replaced (the holes are to big)

Last edited:
provided that you were alert and ready to slow right down for icy patches, or possible icy patches. If you are on ice (lack of tyre noise is a giveaway), or think you may be, don't turn or brake other than extremely gently, and don't do anything that's going to upset your balance, such as looking round when someone else falls off.

What you can't do with any tyre is to ride like you do when it's dry and warm enough that ice isn't a possibility.
Once when the temperature was supposed to be 4 degrees i was going down a hill fair pace and noticed the road was very shiny, decided to stop pedalling. Immediately the bike went from under me. Did nothing other than stop pedalling. Lay there for quite sometime but you don't get alot of traffic at 1am on back road so had to get up and push the bike home on the grass verge. Only half a mile from home so no bother. Spikes on if I see any weather forecast of 4 degrees. May not bother on electric bike this year as no shoots on and if fetching firewood i will just make sure temperature is way above 4 degrees.

Yup, I've had the same! Also come off in different ways, and had the back squirm around while pedalling on ice I hadn't seen. And I am generally a very cautious un-brave rider.

Yes, Skilz might save some people; but there is also a huge luck factor. And it only takes one unlucky/unskilful moment to break your wrist, elbow or pelvis :sad:

Top Bottom