studio flat? would you buy one?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

joanna

I know - not cycling related at all, but was wondering if any of you live in a studio. I'm desperate to buy, but unfortunately don't have the funds, and really can only afford a studio. (I live in Hove (Brighton) which seem to have higher than average property prices). I know I could look at getting somewhere further afield, and cheaper, but I really do want to stay here. I don't really want to carry on renting, as renting costs are so high. To rent a studio here costs around £550-£625 for a half decent one. Not sure how this compares to elsewhere, but to me, that is a lot of money just for rent.

I've got 3 bikes, which could be a problem, but I think if the property has outside space, it might be ok.

Just wondered if buying a studio would be a sensible thing to do. Any experience of living in one?

That aside - have a great weekend, it's almost upon us! :smile:

Brandane

Legendary Member
I lived in one for 4 years when I was much younger. It wasn't too bad, except for the obvious inconvenience of having your bed in the living room, and everything being just a bit cramped. I had one bike at the time and I kept it in the living room too. Plus sides are it is easy to heat, and less rooms to clean (important consideration for a male!). If you like to entertain, then forget it. As an aside, I must have been the only person in Britain to buy a property in the mid 80s, keep it for 4 years and then sell it for a LOSS!! Well it was a Barratt studio flat, and not in a very desirable area :ohmy: .

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Joanna, studios usually carry a premium price per square foot of living space so are nearly always expensive compared to larger places comparing the amount of space you get for your money.

To save a significant amount of money, could you look into buying a 3 or 4 bedroomed place with friends on a formal basis- the larger the place the cheaper it is relative to the square footage as you only have one kitchen, one boiler, one/two bathrooms whether you have one bedroom/studio area or more bedrooms... especially if you could find one that needs doing up [ie kitchen and bathroom so you can share the work yourselves and the costs + increase the value at the same time.

Not as scary if you just think of it as sharing a house or a block of studio rooms on a common stair, with people that you would otherwise be renting with anyway? Downside is that you might feel locked into a situation you may need to get out of but that comes down to the way the agreemnt is set up... but I'm sure solicitors who deal with houses in multiple occupation could advise you.... there'd be a leaseholder contract with a studio for maintenance of the common parts [founds/ stairs/ lift/ roof] anyway so it's not totally dissimilar.

Good luck!

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I lived in one for 8 years, 4 longer than I wanted but was trapped by negative equity.

My advice would be to go for purpose built as opposed to a conversion. At the time I had mine Belway made the largest one.

Also do not buy a Sofa bed, buy a spring loaded wall bed. That way I had a full size living room move the sofa and pull down the bed.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
As a rule I think studio flats are dodgy. Some building societies won't lend against them, and they can be difficult to shift.

Hove might be a better bet than most areas, but I do wonder if the recent changes in allowances for holiday flats have had an effect on the price of studios in Hove. A lot of people have second homes on the south coast, and rent them out as holiday lets, but I think they now have to let them for 105 days a year rather than 70
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/Taxes/TaxOnPropertyAndRentalIncome/DG_4017930 which means that some owners will be getting out now.

In a general way Archie is right, but I think that a three or four bedroom house in Hove might be a big ask - especially if you want to stay near to the station, shops and beach. Is there another single person you might consider sharing a two bed with?

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
there's a really scratty bedsit above my flat. It has a single sky light in each room (kitchen & bed/sitting room) which one cannot get any view out of (apart from sky). It cannot be described as anything but a scratty bedsit, and as such my landlady has trouble letting it out.

So she went to an estate agents recently so they could handle the lets.

Now, it's a 'studio' and the rent is much more than my 1st floor flat with a large sitting room with beautiful bay windows and original marble fireplace, a good sized bedroom and good sized kitchen/diner. (bathroom is shared with the above 'studio')

when does a bedsit in the attic become a studio?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I suspect the answer to the OP's problem is called Portslade, or Southwick, or Shoreham.

I 'owned' briefly a studio flat in B'ton in early 84's, the lovely Helen and I were then, from '85 onwards, pleased to call a one-bedroom flat in Bloomsbury Place, Kemptown, home for a few years. The last time it sold, a couple of years back it went for more than I paid for a five bedroom house in the 'sham and I would not have been able to afford to buy it. Half of H's family live there and can't afford to move to bigger places because the market is just bonkers.

Brighton and Hove property prices are, frankly, nuts. Completely crazy. Are there any decent part-rental part-purchase schemes on offer down there.

bikepete

Guru
I lived in Worthing for a while and often used to ride to Brighton through Shoreham and Hove. IIRC (and this was 20 years ago) there wasn't much choice in roads along the coast, usually just went along the A259, not a very pleasant experience. Especially if the cycle route options along there have improved since, Greg's suggestions sound spot on to me.

BTW Greg, what's this 'Sham place? Faversham? Evesham? Lewisham? Something-else-sham? Just vaguely curious, seen it on a few of your posts but never had a clue as to which it might be...

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I lived in Worthing for a while and often used to ride to Brighton through Shoreham and Hove. IIRC (and this was 20 years ago) there wasn't much choice in roads along the coast, usually just went along the A259, not a very pleasant experience. Especially if the cycle route options along there have improved since, Greg's suggestions sound spot on to me.

BTW Greg, what's this 'Sham place? Faversham? Evesham? Lewisham? Something-else-sham? Just vaguely curious, seen it on a few of your posts but never had a clue as to which it might be...
"The 'sham" = Horsham, West Sussex, 2nd nicest place to live in England.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Joanna, I have a lady friend who wants a tenant for her 3 bedroom house in Carden Ave are, Patcham. The rent is relatively cheap; garage, garden, new kitchen. I suspect sharing would be the best bet but PM me if you're interested and I'll put you in touch.

I live in a large studio with a kitchen and bathroom that are both separate from the lounge/bedroom and are big enough to hold a washing machine, cooker etc and a bath respectively. I have 2 bikes in the flat - 1 in the hall and 1 in the lounge and it's tight. I pay a ridiculous amount for rent, but that is for the area mainly, so on balance it's ok for london. Having lived in a "good" one I would never buy one to live in

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
I dont think there is anything wrong with a studio flat ..unless you have 6 kids or something???

Hove actually is pretty pricy...I live and rent out rooms in worthing...cheaper and the beach has just as many pebbles on it.:smile:

Top Bottom