Stuff that happens as you get older

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
My sense of balance went awol about 4 years ago so I am now on 3 wheels instead of two. The trike is more difficult to store and transport but it does get me out and I am now on one with eassist for the steep hills we have here.
I still have the ICE with no assist but will probably sell it soon.
One notable advantage is no saddle problems and once I got the seat as I want it is very comfortable. It can go fast if needed but easier to just bimble along looking at things.
Being wide can be a slight problem but nothing I have not been able to solve.
So far as age is concerned I will be 88 next month if I survive that long.
I did my first attempt at distance aged 3 on a trike. The police got me and took me home. :blush:

Last edited:

pawl

Legendary Member
Knees start to creak

Hair disappears from your head
Hair starts to sprout from nose and ears

Have a happy day😫😫😫

I'm 68 and am enjoying cycling more than ever. I have the time, I have a couple of comfortable bikes and live in a lovely part of the world.

If I get bored I'm near a main line station which can whisk me away.

I got rid of strava, cycle computers and speedos a couple of years ago; being free of all that target setting and measurement is such a liberation.
Yes agree with that.
I have just turned seventy and i don't feel the need to push myself anymore with Koms and PBS.
I Just like to go out and enjoy the scenery and regular exercise which cycling brings.

fritz katzenjammer

Der Ubergrosserbudgie
At 62 I’m rediscovering cycling after a life of commuting on motorcycles to assorted high stress desk jobs. The motorcycles assured my bones are suitably bashed up and the desk work assured that I’m in no shape to cycle any distance.

I retired two years ago and rewarded myself with a really nice bicycle and a part time job at a bicycle shop.

Observations:
I notice the floor is farther away than it used to be, but the return distance is even farther.

My back and knees make a whole mess of noises that they didn’t used to, although the noise may have been covered by the sound of motorcycle engines… I dunno.

I can now grow hair in vast quantities in some really weird places.

I don’t miss management, commuting, rush hour, meetings, office BS and/or drama, hiring, firing etcetera…

Bikes are good for the soul. Buy a tandem and put the spousal unit on the back, once you get used to the creaking of old bones you’ll likely fall in love again…

If you don’t kill each other first.

Always Cross

Veteran
I used to look at my dad when I was younger seeing him asleep in the chair thinking I’ll never do that. Now guess what come 4pm my I have trouble keeping my eyes open. If I’ve been on my feet for a long time giving a sigh when I sit down seems normal to me now. I must admit an ICE trike helps with saddle pain. The only trouble is I ride a normal bikes in the winter get used to them, then spring/summer the trike comes out and by the time I have my recumbent legs it’s time to put it away again. I think I will have to choose either 2 wheels or 3.

Last edited:

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Please let's restrict this to cycling stuff.

I'm 64 currently and I've been riding 200 mile bike rides for over 30 years and I've noticed in the last 10 years I've changed. For example, I have terrible cramping problems during the night after a double century no matter how many bananas, cup o' noodles, and salt pills I consume. I'm also less tolerant of high sugar drinks. On the plus side, I no longer go into dark, negative moods while riding and I rarely bonk.

What can I look forward to in the next ten years?

I also used to get very painful leg cramps during the night but not so much now . Every night, before I go to bed, I drink two large glasses of water. It seems to do the job so I assume you tend to dehydrate more in your sleep. Try it, you have nothing to lose.

OP
OP
ExBrit

ExBrit

Über Member
I would like a swan song and hope Channel to the Med will be it

That's one of the Peak-Tours routes. I have ridden Lejog twice with them and they are brilliant. I'm booked for the Mozart-Moselle ride with them next year.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
CBA can set in. I'm a CBA sufferer with no idea what the cure is.

It set in last year when I suffered a kidney issue and associated surgery (first ever at age 65, thought I would never need any).

All started Jan 22. Blood in pee, cue big cancer scare (all ok though), 2 op's and 2 seperate incidents of stent insertions and various scans followed blah, blah, blah.

About 11 months lost on bike.

After that CBA struck and my now apathetic self was off the bike for a further 7 months.

Back on the bike now but it is a bit of an effort to do so.

When I was young I would have been raring to get 'back on' and likewise each ride.

Maybe it will go in time, maybe it won't - can't say I am too bothered, it is what it is.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
At 71 am struggling with the longer rides at the moment, but am building them up slowly, speed wise i still like to chase a KOM on Strava in my age group. Never suffered cramps, only drink water on the ride and a few beers when the ride is finished. Do not enjoy riding in the cold and wet, never used to bother me, but give me the sunshine.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
I'm not surprised you're less tolerant to high sugar drinks, you shouldn't be taking them at all. Even natural fruit juice has sugar so don't take too much of that either.
Same with too much salt, why are you taking salt pills?

Because during ultra long endurance exercise you can easily lose more salts than the RDA across a few days. Taking on sugar during endurance exercise is also different to doing the same when inactive.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
That's one of the Peak-Tours routes. I have ridden Lejog twice with them and they are brilliant. I'm booked for the Mozart-Moselle ride with them next year.

Thank you. I will have a look. I really prefer to be independent but if I can't persuade friends to join me a group tour would be an alternative worth considering.

I know at least one regular ride buddy wants to come but may face considerable tension at home.

Top Bottom