Stuff that happens as you get older

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ExBrit

Über Member
Please let's restrict this to cycling stuff.

I'm 64 currently and I've been riding 200 mile bike rides for over 30 years and I've noticed in the last 10 years I've changed. For example, I have terrible cramping problems during the night after a double century no matter how many bananas, cup o' noodles, and salt pills I consume. I'm also less tolerant of high sugar drinks. On the plus side, I no longer go into dark, negative moods while riding and I rarely bonk.

What can I look forward to in the next ten years?

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
At 62 I still enjoy my cycling just wish I had more spare time to do more.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
As we get older our bodies change. You should be taking plenty of protein but not a lot of fat. I'm not surprised you're less tolerant to high sugar drinks, you shouldn't be taking them at all. Even natural fruit juice has sugar so don't take too much of that either.
Same with too much salt, why are you taking salt pills? ORS has a small amount of salt which is fine. I'm nearly ten years older than you and get very dehydrated here but all I need is plenty of water.
Maybe you should consult a nutritionist or check out advice online or from your doc. I don't think there's much you can't do with the correct diet.

Last edited:

Jameshow

Veteran
Please let's restrict this to cycling stuff.

I'm 64 currently and I've been riding 200 mile bike rides for over 30 years and I've noticed in the last 10 years I've changed. For example, I have terrible cramping problems during the night after a double century no matter how many bananas, cup o' noodles, and salt pills I consume. I'm also less tolerant of high sugar drinks. On the plus side, I no longer go into dark, negative moods while riding and I rarely bonk.

What can I look forward to in the next ten years?

Have you tried electrolyte type drinks?

Other than that when did you last have a health mot? Worth asking your surgery for one and get you bloods taken.

davidphilips

Veteran
Chances are that the next ten years will fly by and if you are still cycling then perhaps 200 mile bike rides will be just memories.
What i find as years go by road surfaces seem to be less bouncy and better the tyres be the only thing to make contact with it.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
After breaking my pelvis twice and then a light fracture of the pelvis, not an outright break, I am finding hills are very hard now. The winter of 22/23 seems extra hard and I have moved to a slightly lumpier area - I know it’s not like Yorkshire here but I am a big hill-avoider where possible - that I have such pain in my hips while climbing and the 2 days after a ride are simply just not fun. I went mad and bought an e-bike. Great for the hills, then I turn the E bit off and ride normally, or I sling my gravel bike in the back of the car and drive up the hills to slightly less lumpy and gently rolling terrain and ride.
Definitely slower than I was but still love it. I figure that slower is fine. Where it used to take me 7 hours to ride 100 miles. Now it takes me more like 10. That’s 3 whole hours of additional fun.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I am 65 and found out in 2020 that you do not bounce along the surface of the road as you once did. You hit the floor with a thud and stay there. Like a deflated football.

Fortunately, the medical profession can mend broken bones. But only age and experience can develop fortitude and determination.

As I type this, I am looking at so much gear in my bedroom. I am packing for the Pan Celtic Race which starts on Sunday. 1700km around Brittainy, Normandy, over to England and end in Llandudno.

I am possibly be the oldest rider. Almost certainly the one with the most broken bones😁 I am taking the tortoise and the hare tactic and am banking that young people need to sleep more than old people.

I just have to ride longer, not faster.

RIDELONG..thats my motto. Or is it too close to someone elses? 😁

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Getting older? At nearly 69 (July) I have recognised I need to accept how my has body changed and adapted to the challenges I try to set it. Aside from the physical aspect there is the mental one which is altogether different. Since October I have not been able to ride as much as I wished, a combination of holidays, weather, injury following a crash and Covid. None cycling related apart from the crash, just circumstance, but mean I've ridden 2096 miles in 2023 and usually would be 3000+ by now. My target for the year is 5000 so I'll up the rides over the next few months. The result is I'm not as strong as usual and while I still have the stamina for distance, speed and hard climbing (which I love) are more difficult.

My intention over the next few months is to slowly work back to the fitness levels I like to have. I want to regain my climbing ability, I can still do it but slower by comparison with where I used to be - The Fred for example might be out of reach at present. But at 70 next year? We will see. I'm pretty sure matching or close to matching friends 15-20 years younger - heading for their prime - will be out of reach.

Adapting and the mental challenge? Until this year I have always targeted one or two events to train for, sportives in which I wanted to achieve something personal. For example 2021 it was to ride The Fred, 2022 a sub 5 hour Ride London and so on. This year I simply could not be arsed. I asked myself which do I want to ride? Seriously considered The Fred again because it's a great ride but questioned my commitment to training. I've realised in terms of hard challenges I no longer want to do this, mainly because I don't want my riding pre the event being all about getting fit and strong enough to ride a good time.

Overall I'm finding more and more of my rides are around 80% in Z1/Z2, good steady endurance with very little difference in overall time and averages, perhaps 15 these days when 12 months ago it would have been 16/16.5. It's noticeable on longer rides, 80+ miles, towards the end I'm stronger than the younger folk who set the pace. There is a target for next year - something major in France to celebrate my 70th birthday. I love to tour, I would like a swan song and hope Channel to the Med will be it - working on a couple of buddies to join me. My wife won't allow a solo tour following my brain haemorrhage in 2019. I may look again at The Fred simply because it is one of the finest cycle rides/routes in the UK.

These are things I've accepted over the last 9 months, it was difficult initially but today I feel very comfortable. I like knowing I have past achievements, at my level, and look forward to pushing mile after mile in Z1/Z2 for many years to come...........in about 15 years I may well be that old timer people ride by and wish well as I amble up Waddy Fell.

Last edited:

All uphill

Still rolling along
I'm 68 and am enjoying cycling more than ever. I have the time, I have a couple of comfortable bikes and live in a lovely part of the world.

If I get bored I'm near a main line station which can whisk me away.

I got rid of strava, cycle computers and speedos a couple of years ago; being free of all that target setting and measurement is such a liberation.

Always Cross

Veteran
I find I get more saddle sores now at 62 I never used to get them. Maybe because I don’t ride as much as I used to And my bum has got soft, my riding is now more upright. A Brook’s B17 used to be so comfortable now it feels more like a razor blade. I found one saddle that is good for me but it’s no longer made. So I search flea bay and found one in America the saddle new would have cost about £20. I paid £50 for it bum comfort means a lot of time in the saddle.

Top Bottom