Stuff you don't need on tour.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bodhbh

Guru
Surely if you are touring properly you pop into a local barber's and get a shave and a hair cut rather than taking things with you - what next hair wax?

I had this hyphothesis when I did several months across Europe. Pop in a barber every couple of weeks and get a shave that way. The problem is this: shaving is something quite intimate (imo), I'm a middle aged man, and it was always some young strip of a lass that ended up doing it, often for the first time. It all felt a bit wierd and uncomforable. Maybe I'm just useless at finding proper old fashioine barbers. Not sure that'd quite push me over the edge to take a beard trimmer, but it'd be a discussion I'd be having with myself.

Maybe I'm just useless at finding proper old fashioine barbers.

Nope - they do exist but at less than a € a pop they are are like hens teeth - beard trimmer is less than 150g - < 100g if you are mean and take the batteries out and use in something else

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
That's probably because you've not looked. Down to less than £10 now.
The genuine Helinox versions quote a considerably higher max weight than the 100kg of the knock off versions.
I think if I weigh more than that, my arse wouldn't fit in that frame. I use a camp type chair, like a cushion that sits on the ground, with a back attached by webbing. Quite comfy. Hardly necessary.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
It's bonkers, what a palaver every night, I notice similar on many US riders tales on CGAOB. This bike is nuts, if he was setting out along the Nullarbor Plain on his own, fair enough, but he is in the USA with every convenience he could wish for available at regular intervals.

View attachment 340698
In some parts of the States, it is quite a ways between towns large enough to have a store or conveniences. If a town isn't big enough for a bike shop or full-on Wal*Mart or equivalent, you may have a hard time finding even 700c tires, although my local Ace Hardware has some cycling stuff. Very limited, but some, like patch kits, tubes, and a tire or two.

albal

Guru
I am off the same opinion as you. Generally. I weigh 90 kg, bike about 18 at a guess and luggage for camping tour at about 20kg so 128kg. You live and learn! Bike needs to be tough enough for the load though.

A friend did the TransAm last year on a compact double with medium luggage. He didn't listen to me who advised lower gears and suffered badly in the Appalachians. Still made it though!
The Appalations were the toughest on on transam for me

albal

Guru
I,m managing ok with 2 panniers and bar bag on on southerntier2017. My bud has waaay more gear than me,thus i am waiting for him every morning .

Top Bottom