Stuff you don't need on tour.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
back to the main man, he has had his first broken spoke after 220 miles...

He has a rival with "a 130 pd bike" which I estimate works out as 40kg of luggage after you take the bike off the total https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=1M2&doc_id=19066&v=33#496488

He has a rival with "a 130 pd bike" which I estimate works out as 40kg of luggage after you take the bike off the total

You are obsessed ^_^ - they are lightweights - a few years back I was camping at Tournon sur Rhone and had a few beers with a French Canadian who was camping on the next pitch to mine - he was the biggest geezer i've ever seen on a bike - 6'8" and 175kg by his own admission - not what impressed me - in the morning when he was loaded he had the biggest panniers i've ever seen on a bike - the Arc de Triomphe type - the rear one came to about 6" above his saddle - the front one to about the same above the handlebars - he had cycled down from England over the Glockner

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
@psmiffy you are probably right! Just thinking that on a scale of 0 being super light and 100 being BEHEMOTH man then this one is in the 85+ class. What I worry about is that people like him give up early due to overcooking it. Each to their own. Some people think I over pack

Im about 145kg to150kg on the road - me - the bike - the luggage - Ive done over 60k km over the last 20yrs - I meet people on the road who have cycled round the world and they are way heavier than me - Its all a matter of mindset - if you are used to zapping along tnen weight will be pure anathema - if are just happy toddling along smelling the roses then it is no big deal - my maxim is that if it goes up - it goes

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
I am off the same opinion as you. Generally. I weigh 90 kg, bike about 18 at a guess and luggage for camping tour at about 20kg so 128kg. You live and learn! Bike needs to be tough enough for the load though.

A friend did the TransAm last year on a compact double with medium luggage. He didn't listen to me who advised lower gears and suffered badly in the Appalachians. Still made it though!

DanZac

Must admit that chairs etc have no truck with me when camping. Gave up car camping with gf when it became clear that she wanted to collect a mass of dining room furniture. And there was me enjoying lounging on the sunny grass, at one with the world and nature. Next step, a standard lamp and a hat stand.

I lugged one of those little folding chairs from lands end to JOG and back again. Probably sat on it about 20 times during the whole trip. But boy did I enjoy sitting in it watching the sun go down at JOG, worth it just for that and it was a blessing on the days when it had rained and the grass was wet which was the other 19 times.
Probably would'nt bother with one again though.

I quite like his chair and table, I think they're pretty cool and quite light if you've seen them in the flesh.

I recall you posting the link to them but by the time I got around to trying to buy one, they'd gone.
Yep, haven't seen the knock off ones for ages, maybe Helinox stopped them (don't know if that's possible).The only thing I foresee failing on them is the socket bit the poles fit into (which is plastic), if it does I'll probably try machining some myself out of an aluminium billet.

RobinS

Veteran
We have been using the Chinese Helinox look-a-like chairs from Ebay for a couple of years with no problems, but have recently noticed that Mountainwarehouse now stock them for £29.99, and Go-Outdoors for rather more.

Top Bottom