Stuff you don't need on tour.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Its a lot of gear and I am sure it could be reduced with a bit of thought. But I am not one for cutting my toothbrush in half to save half a gram. I wouldnt tour without my thermal cup. It must weigh 500g but keeps my drink hot for hours. When it is belting down and I am hiding to keep out of the wind and rain, a hot drink is well worth the extra weight.
I see where you are coming from but re the hot drink can't you just get out a small rocket type stove and make one? I've done this in bus shelters of a cold morning - it actually made my espresso faster than at home.

4 x 2 litres of cider in the panniers is totally unnecessary :heat:
I read rather inspiring report of a guy who made his own wine as he cycled - he was cycling through grape country - possibly in the states - apparently if you put the basic ingredients in a suitable container a rough sort of wine (I'm sure it would do me) is produced in hardly any time at all - the process is apparently helped by the bike movement.

We once stayed at a campsite near Nice and were given a bucket of six inch nails with a large hammer attached to it by a chain as the ground was like concrete.

I've always thought plastic, screw in pegs might work well but have never seen any (cue for someone to put a link to where to buy them).

Haitch

Flim Flormally

Glad to oblige
peggy-peg-pegandstop-screw-in-pegs-with-lock-99999910131-31.jpg

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
My point was that there are super lightweight tourers, and those who err to the heavy end. He is at the heavy end. We all have one or two items that are "essential" that others would not want. My biggest worry reading his journal is that he has done all his planning from an armchair and has overcooked the weight.

My biggest worry reading his journal is that he has done all his planning from an armchair and has overcooked the weight.

I wouldnt worry - it is his problem - and everybody to their own - from what little ive read so far - he seems to know what he wants - actually the thing that impresses me is that it only comes to 38kg - add in food and water - probably around the 42kg mark - in my experience not a problem

We once stayed at a campsite near Nice and were given a bucket of six inch nails with a large hammer attached to it by a chain as the ground was like concrete.

I've always thought plastic, screw in pegs might work well but have never seen any (cue for someone to put a link to where to buy them).
good point re the hammer - I was once reduced almost to tears trying to get some pegs into some Sardinian ground.

RobinS

Veteran
A small hammer is on our "essentials" for southern Europe, along with 4 steel nail type pegs in addition to the lightweight alloy ones. Sometimes it is just not possible to erect a tent without, and a small hammer is not much heavier, and a lot less bulky than a plastic mallet.

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I see where you are coming from but re the hot drink can't you just get out a small rocket type stove and make one? I've done this in bus shelters of a cold morning - it actually made my espresso faster than at home.
I can. But then you need all the gubbins to go with it. I can fill my thermos cup with hot coffee in the morning and it is still hot well after lunch. I dont need to stop and get all the gear out. I do carry a stove on occasions though.

Top Bottom