Stuff you don't need on tour.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The lilo looks similar to an Exped air and so that could stay. The table and chair looks like those that cost an arm and a leg and and fold down to almost nothing and weigh even less and so they can stay as well. He has got some good gear. But seems to have an awful lot of it. Someone should send him the TCR link.
Must admit that chairs etc have no truck with me when camping. Gave up car camping with gf when it became clear that she wanted to collect a mass of dining room furniture. And there was me enjoying lounging on the sunny grass, at one with the world and nature. Next step, a standard lamp and a hat stand.

The lilo looks similar to an Exped air and so that could stay. The table and chair looks like those that cost an arm and a leg and and fold down to almost nothing and weigh even less and so they can stay as well. He has got some good gear. But seems to have an awful lot of it. Someone should send him the TCR link.

If you think about it, he has an amazing amount of stuff for only 38kg :laugh: And it is good stuff, the Helinox camp bed is 1.44kg, for the light version the chair 1.4 ,( @jay clock I guess this is the comfy armchair he planned his trip in:okay:) and the table 700 grammes. Bed table and chair for 3.5 kg is pretty impressive!

There was a thread a while ago about whether cycle-camping was about the the cycling or the camping, I suspect he falls into the latter category.

I am worried that he may be underequiped, I don't see a pedal spanner anywhere;)

Bodhbh

Guru
It's all good gear. If he decides it's OTT, the he won't loose much on the eBay resale.

There was a thread a while ago about whether cycle-camping was about the the cycling or the camping, I suspect he falls into the latter category.

Given gear threads generate more traffic than anything else, I'd say there's a 3rd catagory - the shopping!

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
I tend to agree. I have learnt over the years what suits me. I have had people pooh pooh the mere possession of an airbed. I do confess to owning a similar chair to his, although I have never atcually packed it when I do a last minute reality check and weigh in

What I have learnt is (for me) to get it all on the back. Just the front rack and panniers (empty) adds about 2kg, then I am tempted to fill them!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

Never skimp on the photographic equipment either, all those memories are so precious.

head cam.jpg

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
Well so far so good. He hasn't complained about being weighed down, and although slow he seems to be steady. And his hammer seems to have come in handy for nailing his tent to that wooden decking!

I know it is dated and could be done much lighter these days, (the but the heaviest and most over equipped touring cycle ever must be BEHEMOTH (“Big Electronic Human Energised Machine, Only Too Heavy”)

At some 270 Kg it included:

Behemoth-Recumbent-Touring-Bike-07.jpg

01. Satellite station for email and SOS.
02. Ham radio bay.
03. Trailer frame made out of steel. The cover is fibreglass covered cardboard. 2/3 of the space for camping equipment.
04. Battery bay with 30 amp hours of batteries (15 amp hours more at the Console).
05. Satellite station mainframe.
06. Solar panels (72 watts).
07. Antennae for ham radio, mobile phone and pager.
08. Removable briefcase with 10-watt solar panel lid and laptop computer inside.
09. Safety flasher.
10. Motion sensor for if people get within 3m (10ft) of the bike.
11. Stereo system, CD player and 150 CDs.
12. This side: Refrigerator. Other side: Computer with a 207mb HDD, CD-ROM and modem.
13. Brain Interface Unit (more below).
14. Dual waterproof speakers.
15. Map case.
16. Handlebar keyboard built into the grips using binary code.
17. 105-speed drivetrain.
18. Dual air horns.
19. Steering link.
20. Phone.
21. Console: Mac computer with 40mb HDD (graphics). IBM computer with 40mb HDD (CAD, mapping, satellite tracking). Toshiba laptop for typing while riding. GPS chip. Speech synthesis and recognition. 30-watt beam headlight. Fax machine and modem boards.

Behemoth-Recumbent-Touring-Bike-06.jpg

Top Bottom