Stuff you don't need on tour.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
OK I moaned about those with too much. At the other extreme these fairly experienced tourers are going round the world. One has 20kg
(bike and luggage) the other 22kg. https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/?o=1gw&page_id=489518&v=1S

The perils of packing for hipster touring.

"USB powered beard trimmer"
That' a joke on your part I assume? Never can tell these days :smile:

One question - of course you try to avoid cycling in the dark when touring but with all those bags on the front where does he put any sort of light?

That' a joke on your part I assume? Never can tell these days :smile:
Indeed but it is part of their kit. It just struck me as amusing, it would not be one of my priorities. I wondered how those carbon forks would do but then I remembered that Mike Hall had done his round the world ride on a carbon bike, citing metal fatigue failures as his reason for choosing carbon, so....

I didn't see it on the list.

Bonkers - if the guy is into light low energy what's to stop him taking a small razor and some shaving oil? Bonkers. I'll read his blog later for more "info" on must not haves - like solar panels.

RobinS

Veteran
They seem to be £59.99 at Mountainwarehouse, unless I'm missing something?

In the shop they were reduced to £29.99 - never buy anything at full price from there - they only post those inflated prices some of the time so they can quote "half price" or whatever most of the time.

Oh yeah, I didn't make it up, page 9

We also had new bike lights that charge on micro USB, a USB powered beard trimmer, and a few other things. To compensate for the added weight, I removed some extra tent stakes and also some tools that I decided we didn’t need, keeping my entire setup at 22kg. Steve’s bike and gear weighed in at 20kg.

I didn't see it on the list.

Bonkers - if the guy is into light low energy what's to stop him taking a small razor and some shaving oil? Bonkers.

Not bonkers at all - doesn't take long to look and feel like a yeti - a quick whisk round and you both feel and look better - and are less likely to frighten the locals - Ive got a small AA battery powered one - and I can assure you nobody has ever accused me of being a hipster - not twice anyway ^_^

and as an aside you have to be pretty OCD to shave on tour

Not bonkers at all - doesn't take long to look and feel like a yeti - a quick whisk round and you both feel and look better - and are less likely to frighten the locals - Ive got a small AA battery powered one - and I can assure you nobody has ever accused me of being a hipster - not twice anyway ^_^

and as an aside you have to be pretty OCD to shave on tour
yeah but you've got more in your panniers than I've got in my house.

Edit: And I took one of those AA things on tour once. I had to shave every day or risk it jamming in two days of growth.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Surely if you are touring properly you pop into a local barber's and get a shave and a hair cut rather than taking things with you - what next hair wax?

Surely if you are touring properly you pop into a local barber's and get a shave and a hair cut rather than taking things with you - what next hair wax?

When the local barbers is likely to cost you more than you paid last night for camping - a bit of do it yourself is worth the effort - I tend to get a haircut about once a month on tour - cheapest and cheerful as i can find - 10mm all over

Seems like a lot of comments made by people are those from people who have never done a "proper" tour ^_^:becool:

Edit - what is hair waxing?

Milkfloat

An Peanut
When the local barbers is likely to cost you more than you paid last night for camping - a bit of do it yourself is worth the effort - I tend to get a haircut about once a month on tour - cheapest and cheerful as i can find - 10mm all over

Seems like a lot of comments made by people are those from people who have never done a "proper" tour ^_^:becool:

Edit - what is hair waxing?

My last paid shave was less than a pound and that included a haircut. If I wanted to do it in an air-conditioned salon it would have been almost double.

Hair Wax not leg wax

The perils of packing for hipster touring.

"USB powered beard trimmer"
But this is not hipster:
Screen Shot 2017-03-20 at 13.06.09.jpg

This is hipster

beard-1-420x280.jpg

Top Bottom