Stupid Carbon Fibre Cages!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

potsy

Rambler
Almost ... they were freebies from a SiS rep who did a sports nutrition talk at our training camp on the Costa Blanca in the early 2000s!
I've only been cycling 4 years and must have gone through 10 already, at least I don't go throwing mine away like smokey and 400bhp though :whistle:

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I suspect this might be an oblique reference to the fact that I am still using a couple of outwardly-manky 12 year old SiS bottles! :whistle:

(They look bad on the surface, but I do keep the insides clean!) :laugh:
Clean inside, check. Don't leak, check. Clean nozzle, check. Reuse, check.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Clean inside, check. Don't leak, check. Clean nozzle, check. Reuse, check.
Yep!

One thing though ... It is almost impossible to clean around the black valve/nozzle of a SiS bottle properly unless you remove it from the red plastic screw top. If you bite the black bit hard, you can pull it away from the red top. Give it a good clean, and then it is fairly easy to push back where it belongs.

OP
OP
smokeysmoo

smokeysmoo

Legendary Member
Yes. We have a few dotted about in the house somewhere as they are useful for a million and one things. Use alchohol wipe or similar cleaner on the surface 1st tho.
I can't believe I haven't got any after all the flat pack stuff I've built over the years, but just a look in the shed and I can't find any :sad:

I'll just get some me thinks.

For prep cleaning I'd use THIS brake cleaner, one because I have it, and two because it's bloody brilliant for things like that, it brings chains and cassettes up like new as well :thumbsup:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Elite Ciussi bottle cages my son, in your favourite material,aluminium.

The camel back bottles are brill, gutting eh.

OP
OP
smokeysmoo

smokeysmoo

Legendary Member
'Buffer dots' arrived today and are now fitted. I've lightly scotched the fitting points with fine sandpaper, cleaned the area, (well whole cages TBH), with brake cleaner to remove any residue and also any remaining GT85, then applied them.

I've only tried a bottle in them with the bike stationary, but you can definitely feel more friction now when you come to remove it, so hopefully my new bottles will arrive tomorrow and then I can properly test the whole arrangement this weekend.

As long as the dots stay stuck I think this will will work fine, if they don't then a drop of cyanoacrylate may be in order :thumbsup:

OP
OP
smokeysmoo

smokeysmoo

Legendary Member
New bottles are here but now I'm working tomorrow so won't be able to test my modified cages :sad:

20140315_140721.jpg

Top Bottom