Stupid comments by companies.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Sometimes I wonder who writes this stuff..
Today's winner, so far, is this comment in an email..
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Pets at Home.
Tell us about your last visit in store and you could win £500 of vouchers.
Can't see this email? View it here.

~~~~~~~~~~¿~~~~

If I can't see the email, how can I view the request to click on a link to view it elsewhere?

SydZ

Über Member
The element of the email stating
Can't see this email? View it here.”
Is usually in text format which any email client will be able to read and will be readable. The remainder of such emails will be in html format, or something similar, which can be disabled or not shown correctly by some email clients therefore there is nothing wrong with the company’s statement.

gbb

Legendary Member
I saw this one again the other day...
A laundry tag that read (among the ususal stuff like wash at 30 etc)...
''Remove child before washing'

In what world could you extrapolate that possibility :huh: What idiot sat there thinking of risk and response came up with that one....30 years ago, you'd have been roasted by your boss for being so dumb.

markemark

Über Member
Is usually in text format which any email client will be able to read and will be readable. The remainder of such emails will be in html format, or something similar, which can be disabled or not shown correctly by some email clients therefore there is nothing wrong with the company’s statement.
Yes @SydZ is correct. Sometimes the email client blocks images by default for security or to limit data. It then makes the often image heavy email unreadable so the sender puts a link to view it a different way.

Quite sensible rather than ‘stupid’

Isn't email a whole and they're not asking about not seeing the next section of the email just the whole email? Technically not good wording even if the coding of different sections makes some more readable than others.

BTW I've seen better wording for this sort of email.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I saw this one again the other day...
A laundry tag that read (among the ususal stuff like wash at 30 etc)...
''Remove child before washing'

In what world could you extrapolate that possibility :huh: What idiot sat there thinking of risk and response came up with that one....30 years ago, you'd have been roasted by your boss for being so dumb.
I blame innocent smoothies for the recent glut of cutesy easter egg messages on products.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Isn't email a whole and they're not asking about not seeing the next section of the email just the whole email? Technically not good wording even if the coding of different sections makes some more readable than others.

BTW I've seen better wording for this sort of email.

Email can be text only, or rtf, or html, the latter includes images layout etc. If your email client can only handle text then you won’t see the html content. Hence the link to view the email in the browser and see the full html content of the email.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Every comment made by a company or corporate behemoth that professes to to 'care' for you when it is actually about raking the cash in for the shareholders.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Also applies to naming products.
‘American Gourmet‘. Is there such a thing?

Attachments

• 1781773A-29AD-4917-8827-231B04FDC266.jpeg
    1781773A-29AD-4917-8827-231B04FDC266.jpeg
    71.9 KB · Views: 13

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
When working in a technical college my students were given a questionnaire produced by the 'management' regarding the quality of their educational experience, with the instruction 'please complete using blank ink' - I felt it just about summed up the institution's true view of our student's opinions. The questionnaire was hastily withdrawn the following day, never to be seen again.

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
When working in a technical college my students were given a questionnaire produced by the 'management' regarding the quality of their educational experience, with the instruction 'please complete using blank ink' - I felt it just about summed up the institution's true view of our student's opinions. The questionnaire was hastily withdrawn the following day, never to be seen again.
Maybe there is too much reliance on Spellcheck and not enough on proof reading.

A transport company I used to work for sent out a memo telling all the drivers to produce their counterfeit driving licence instead of counterpart..
Queue me on the PC and Word to mock up several dodgy licences to put in the in-tray :laugh:

Top Bottom