Stupid names for everyday things

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Where I worked, the Personnel department, once decided to be much posher and redesignate itself as Human Resources.

Not good enough, I heard them cry.... They are now 'The People Team'.
Our HR department are now HRbusiness partners

Brains

Legendary Member
Well let me see. If you are in that category, would you like to be called "subnormal"?

FFS, what's wrong with people

Just observing how 'stupid names' change over time.
FYI - The term "ESN" was in day to day parlance in education at least into the 1980's

I daresay that some of the terms we use today will be seen as offensive a couple of decades from now

Just observing how 'stupid names' change over time.
FYI - The term "ESN" was in day to day parlance in education at least into the 1980's

I daresay that some of the terms we use today will be seen as offensive a couple of decades from now
quite - I'm just waiting for someone to be roasted online for using the term "people of colour"

Brains

Legendary Member
quite - I'm just waiting for someone to be roasted online for using the term "people of colour"

Duchess Megan used that term only a couple of weeks ago, so at the moment you should be safe with that one!

There are however a large number of terms with a similar meaning that are no longer accepted as PC, although I'm sure that even 'people of colour' would have used some of those terms about themselves at the time.

Ever come across anyone with the surname of Blackmoor for example

I expect people of colour to be replaced in due course with a phrase of four words at least.

CharlesF

Guru
The dibble went that way just before I left. HR business partners, despite neither HR or the wider organisation being a business or doing any business, and the individuals not being actual partners in any actual business.
We have Business Partners within People & Culture! Which comprises various Centres of Excellence!!!!

Beat that.

Brains

Legendary Member
BAME annoys me. Are the other minority ethnic groups not important enough to get their own letter in the acronym?

A 'BAME' friend of mine was recently interviewed for Radio 4. They wanted BAME success stories.
My fiend had never heard of the term !
I think the (WASP) interviewer was somewhat embarrassed to have to explain it live on air !

To quote Boris - Four words
"Picaninnies with watermelon smiles"

I sure Boris would also say "I not a racist, but ....."

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...ism-watermelon-smiles-satirical-a8981166.html
Sorry Brains, you are losing me here.
Boris is beneath contempt in so many ways - I have thought so for years.
For so so many reasons.
Way way before the latest mess.
And that phrase of his was definitely racist.
That was not what I meant at all when I anticipated/feared a "bid-up" to a four word phrase as the latest acceptable construct.

Top Bottom