Stupid names for everyday things

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Baldy

Über Member
When I was in the Army the officer in charge of petrol, oils and lubricants was known as the POLO. (Petrol, Oil and Lubricants Officer).
Some General heard him being called "Polo", and didn't like it. He then had the name changed to Fuels, Lubricants and Associated Products, so the Polo became the Flapo.

When I was in the Army the officer in charge of petrol, oils and lubricants was known as the POLO. (Petrol, Oil and Lubricants Officer).
Some General heard him being called "Polo", and didn't like it. He then had the name changed to Fuels, Lubricants and Associated Products, so the Polo became the Flapo.
Surprised he didn't set to work on the fany, first aid nursing yeomanry.

And have always been suspicious about the origins of that, i mean how commonly used is yeomanry in naming anything?

Alex H

Legendary Member

I was in the RAF. While at Leuchars, in the winter, we had an officer in charge of airfield snow and ice clearance.

He/she was the Duty Ice and Snow Clearance Officer :laugh:

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
And who can forget the Strategic Head of Intelligence Targeting, an honest to god MI6 joint operations position, which was quickly renamed when incumbents complained that the military personnel seconded to the unit simply shortened it to The S**T?

And
The War Against Terror

Swiftly amended

'Holibobs', FFS this is what the grown men I work with call holidays. I have to bite my tongue:cursing:
cripes - what's the derivation of that?

May they be doomed to sexless relationships with women* who call them them "hubby"

(* if that way inclined before someone lurches from the pit to attack me)

Top Bottom