Stupid names for everyday things

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Drago, 11 Sep 2019.

1. mustang1

mustang1 Guru

... and then everyone wanted to be a CXO. First it was CEO. And I never figured out what the difference between CTO and CIO was (chief information officer Vs their tecc officer).

Also, everyone these days is a Director or Vice President. The corp world is a messy place.

And wth is an elfanashoogan?

Drago likes this.
  2. OP
    OP
    Drago

Drago Flouncing Nobber

I know a chap who drives a forklift at a sweetie factory and loads the lorries. That's ^^^ what he says his job is if you ask.

classic33 and Dirk like this.
  3. mustang1

mustang1 Guru

Wth is a two dot oh? Web Marketing 2.0. reclaim yourself, 2.0. and that movie Die Hard 4.0.
    The stupid plums (2.0).

4. MichaelW2

MichaelW2 Veteran

Pretty much everything in a coffee shop had a stupid name.

Blue Hills likes this.
  5. goo_mason

goo_mason Champion barbed-wire hurdler

Nearly forgot: when did we start referring to dogs as 'doggos' rather than dogs/doggies and pups as "puppers" rather than pups/puppies?

It seems to be a thing on social media these days, but it really needs to stop...

6. MontyVeda

MontyVeda a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll

Is the phrase 'calling a spade a spade' something to do with the building trade or something to do with how one refers to a person of African origin?

7. Brains

Brains Guru

Mine was ever better!
    "Special Needs" !

Salty seadog likes this.
  8. Brains

Brains Guru

To "call a spade a spade" is a figurative expression. It is also referred to as "let's call a spade a spade, not a gardening tool" which refers to calling something "as it is",[1] that is, by its right or proper name, without "beating about the bush"—being outspoken about it, truthfully, frankly, and directly, even to the point of being blunt or rude, and even if the subject is considered coarse, impolite, or unpleasant.

The idiom originates in the classical Greek of Plutarch's Apophthegmata Laconica, and was introduced into the English language in 1542 in Nicolas Udall's translation of the Apophthegmes, where Erasmus had seemingly replaced Plutarch's images of "trough" and "fig" with the more familiar "spade."

MontyVeda and Drago like this.
  9. MichaelW2

MichaelW2 Veteran

Now SEND

10. Brains

Brains Guru

I take it 'ESN' is no longer PC ?
    (Educationally Sub Normal)

11. tom73

tom73 Über Member

Before payments went electronic pension books and the like used to be printed in house by the DWP. The printing machines used to be housed in some old army huts round the back. Each book was stamped by one of two members of staff using a machine called a bonker. Think of the fun when asked at party what do you for job.:smile:

classic33 and Drago like this.
  12. Threevok

Threevok President of the Not From Brazil party

I used to work in IT for a company that sold toilet supplies to hotels, pubs and offices etc

The code for sanitary towel dispensers was STDs

We had a lot of fun with that particular abbreviation

classic33, Chris S and Drago like this.
  13. YukonBoy

YukonBoy The Monch

Vision operative = window cleaner...

Drago likes this.
  14. Bicycling. An Americanism for riding a bike. I dont know why, but I dislike it.

Threevok likes this.
  15. OP
    OP
    Drago

Drago Flouncing Nobber

Optometrist. What was wrong with being an optician?

And dentists now being called 'Doctor', despite not having a doctoral degree. What's that about?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice