Stupid newbie inner tube question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberstretch

My recently acquired hybrid with 700 x 35 tyres has presta valves and I would prefer schraders. Can i simply buy a 700c schrader tube and put it in ?

I read somewhere about the size of holes in rims not all being the same size !??

Gary E

Veteran
This may help. As it says, you can drill the hole to take a schrader but read the warnings.

Canrider

Guru
I guess the question is: why do you 'prefer' Schraders, is it that you've got a Schrader-only pump?

Tubes are cheap, buy (find?) a Schrader 700c tube and try it out. If it fits your rim hole and sits flush on the inside, you're probably okay.

OP
OP
C

cyberstretch

I guess the question is: why do you 'prefer' Schraders, is it that you've got a Schrader-only pump?

Tubes are cheap, buy (find?) a Schrader 700c tube and try it out. If it fits your rim hole and sits flush on the inside, you're probably okay.

Its just that im used to schraders on my past bikes, my boys bike and my car so have the relevant pumps already. I dont want to open a can or worms but I find the prestas a bit fiddly ?!
Good idea to buy a tube and try it.

Canrider

Guru
Its just that im used to schraders on my past bikes, my boys bike and my car so have the relevant pumps already. I dont want to open a can or worms but I find the prestas a bit fiddly ?!
Good idea to buy a tube and try it.
I know what you mean as I grew up in Schrader-land, but they are what they are (prestas). If you have a pump that can handle both kinds, then there's not all that much to fiddle with, just uncrew the tiny nut at the top and give it a tap it to make sure everything's ready for air to go in.

I don't say many prayers of thanks ... but surely do, VERY regularly, for the guys who worked out pumps that could do both Schraders and Prestas. Around me and the kids, we currently have 11 bikes :wacko:

craven2354

I have a rack pump and mini pump that does both as my brothers bmx is schrader and my roadie is Presta cost me £20 for the track pump and £9 for the mini pump :smile:

Top Bottom