Stupid Phrases

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
One that always puzzled me, since I knew from bitter experience that that it was bollards.

The bigger they are, the harder they fall.

No, the bigger they are, the harder they thump you.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
In the wake of Shatners trip, people saying 'oohh...I'd love to go into space'.
Space....more correctly..spacetime, is everywhere. We live in it.
All he did was take a joyride into a lethal part of it.

Dolorous Edd

One that always puzzled me, since I knew from bitter experience that that it was bollards.

The bigger they are, the harder they fall.

No, the bigger they are, the harder they thump you.

Back in my judo days, my teacher explained it to me thus: "It's perfectly possible to defeat somebody bigger than you; but ultimately, a good big 'un will beat a good little 'un."

Lozz360

Veteran
Another one gets me...

"And Manchester United have the momentum this season..."

No, they won the last 2 games. And they keep winning until they no longer win. It is not momentum.
Football is awash with stupid phrases.

Commentators refer to the fans "away to the right (or left)" Why can't they just be to the right?

A certain team has to win by "two clear goals". This tends to occur when aggregate scores are involved. But why does a team have to win by two (or three) clear goals? Is a clear goal any different to a conventional goal?

Someone has already mentioned in this thread, the need to "get a result". All that is meant is "we need to win".

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
it makes men sound like some kind of uncivilised knuckle draggers..:sad:
Of which you are normally only to quick to reminds us! :laugh:

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I agree it makes men sound like some kind of uncivilised knuckle draggers..:sad:
I associate it with that idiot John Gray (the American cultist, not the British philosopher - although I'm not a fan of the latter either). He's also responsible for 'Rubberbanding' - not the sort they do to livestock, but a related relationship mumbo-jumbo metaphor.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Another football pundit favourite, "tempo". As in "Tottenham are playing with a real tempo", or "Foden has such tempo".

Of course they have tempo you wally, all teams and players have a tempo. But some have a very low one, some very high, and some just middling.

Top Bottom