Stupid Phrases

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
boys will be boys, ??? what else would they be :wacko:

Milzy

Guru
Don’t look a gift horse in the mouth. American phrase, never got it. Horses don’t bring gifts & if it tried to give you a Christmas present why would looking in its mouth mean you’re not grateful?

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Don’t look a gift horse in the mouth. American phrase, never got it. Horses don’t bring gifts & if it tried to give you a Christmas present why would looking in its mouth mean you’re not grateful?

You tell the age of a horse by the condition of its teeth.

If someone gifts you a horse, and upon receipt you immediately check out its teeth to ascertain its age.

It makes you look a bit ungrateful, for a free thing that's been given to you.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
cycling saves you money ....................

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
"You can't have your cake and eat it".

Erm, yes you can, so long as you do it in that order. You can own (have) a cake, and you can also eat that cake, but once you finish eating it you can't go back to the former state of ownership of the said cake.

So I know what youre aiming for dear proverb writer, but a better way to express it is; "You can't eat your cake and yet still have it".

Last edited:
"You can't have your cake and eat it".

Erm, yes you can, so long as you do it in that order. You can own (have) a cake, and you can also eat that cake, but once you finish eating it you can't go back to the former state of ownership of the said cake.

So I know what youre aiming for dear proverb writer, but a better way to express it is; "You can't eat your cake and yet still have it".

couldnt agree more and what would be the point of having a cake that you cant eat :wacko:

Top Bottom