Stupid Phrases

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Nobody said it's all right then

r/wooooosh if that is still a thing

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
"Executive Summary" in any kind of report.

I mean, what exactly is the difference between a "Summary" and an "Executive Summary"?
The executive summaty drives a 5 series and lives in Surbiton?

Serving, suspended, former, retired ... Police officer

Nope. The first is simply police officer. There is no such thing as a serving officer, its not a term the police ever use. You can be a civilian, a retired copper, ex copper, even just a copper, but there is no such thing as a serving officer - they are simply an officer. Its a ridiculous, meaningless phrase invented by the media.

dredging the barrel....

Really? Why bother replying then? It's just a bit of light hearted discussion for old duffers.

Last edited:

Profpointy

Legendary Member

I mean, what exactly is the difference between a "Summary" and an "Executive Summary"?

That always annoyed me too. I really couldn't bring myself to use the term so I used to change the official template to simply say "summary" for any reports I wrote.

That said there is the notion that executives are unable to understand anything complex so I suppose you could argue that an "executive summary" was dumbed down not merely summarised. A former boss coined the phrase "needs to be at the 'horsey, doggy, piggy' level"

Alex321

Veteran

A summary is an overview for your peers. An executive summary is in language the bosses can understand :smile:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
The executive summaty drives a 5 series and lives in Surbiton?

Nope. The first is simply police officer. There is no such thing as a serving officer, its not a term the police ever use. You can be a civilian, a retired copper, ex copper, even just a copper, but there is no such thing as a serving officer - they are simply an officer. Its a ridiculous, meaningless phrase invented by the media.

Really? Why bother replying then? It's just a bit of light hearted discussion for old duffers.

Is there a lower age limit for these 'light hearted' discussions.?

In which case you should really specify.

And also yes some of us supposedly more mature types should just ignore all of it and get on with our work ....

Profpointy

Legendary Member
A sporting one, although it could be used in another context, someone returning to a club and making their "second debut". Surely a debut is a first time thing so how can you go and make a second one???

I'd take that as meaning they'd returned from retirement or after a long break due to injury or returning to their previous club after being elsewhere

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
I'd take that as meaning they'd returned from retirement or after a long break due to injury or returning to their previous club after being elsewhere
Nope, they say it regularly when a player re-signs (eg Ronaldo back to Man Utd recently).
1633950660520.png

So how can a comeback appearance be a second debut :hyper:

Joffey

Big Dosser
Oh, and off topic a bit, but worthy of mention. When some mind of major disaster occurs have you noticed how the media list rhe casualties in order of importance?

"Among the dead are 5 Britons, 2 Americans, and 34 others. And a frenchman."

"Among the dead are 5 Britons, 2 Americans, and 34 others. And a frenchman. And 43 cyclists." - That's how the media love us! :laugh:

Top Bottom