Stupid Phrases

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
We've had ridoculous oxymorons, now its time for stupid phrases that grind my gears. And here's a few to start you off...

Heavily pregnant - pregnancy is a binary situation. One is either pregnant, or one is not. You might be well along, or in your third trimester, overdue, or whatever, but you cannot be heavily preganant any more than you can be lightly pregnant.

Which brings me neatly on to...

Serving police officer - like pregnancy, this is a binary situation. One neither a copper, or one is not. There is no 'serving' option, they are not waiters. Just 'police officer' will do, thank you Mr Media.

And another...

Less lethal weapon - utter rubbish. Its all in the deployment. Shoot yourself in the toe with a fifty cal and odds are you will survive. Comvesely, a baton round fired into your face is probably going to send you off to the pearly gates. Is how the weapon is deployed, not the nature of the weapon itself, that determines the lethality or otherwise of personal arms.

And these examples are before I have even turned my attention to pseudo business speak...

So what ridiculous phrases sets your teeth on edge?

New Baby.

Who gives birth to a second hand one?

T4tomo

Guru
We've had ridoculous oxymorons, now its time for stupid phrases that grind my gears. And here's a few to start you off...

Heavily pregnant - pregnancy is a binary situation. One is either pregnant, or one is not. You might be well along, or in your third trimester, overdue, or whatever, but you cannot be heavily preganant any more than you can be lightly pregnant.

Serving police officer - like pregnancy, this is a binary situation. One neither a copper, or one is not. There is no 'serving' option, they are not waiters. Just 'police officer' will do, thank you Mr Media.

And another...

Less lethal weapon - utter rubbish. Its all in the deployment. Shoot yourself in the toe with a fifty cal and odds are you will survive. Comvesely, a baton round fired into your face is probably going to send you off to the pearly gates. Is how the weapon is deployed, not the nature of the weapon itself, that determines the lethality or otherwise of personal arms.

And these examples are before I have even turned my attention to pseudo business speak...

dredging the barrel....

newly pregnant, just showing, mid term, heavily pregnant, all very understandable.

Serving, suspended, former, retired ... Police officer

less lethal vs more lethal I agree on , that's silly. A weapon is either lethal or not.

Punkawallah

Über Member
dredging the barrel....

newly pregnant, just showing, mid term, heavily pregnant, all very understandable.

Serving, suspended, former, retired ... Police officer

less lethal vs more lethal I agree on , that's silly. A weapon is either lethal or not.

Thinking the term is ‘less than lethal’?

FishFright

More wheels than sense
"Executive Summary" in any kind of report.

I mean, what exactly is the difference between a "Summary" and an "Executive Summary"?

About £50k a year .

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Saving the planet, it's not in any danger. Its whether it's going to be habitual for humans that's in question. The planet managed for hundreds of million years without us, it'll manage much better once we're gone.

That's all right then.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine

And another...

Until you've actually been pregnant.

Heavily, or otherwise, and yes it can be very heavy.

Probs best to reserve judgement on that one.

It doesn't 'grind' my gears, because I've got slightly more important things to think about.

More mildly curious.

But over-balancing... ??

Surely it's a deficit rather than a surfeit of balance that has you falling over ??

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Saving the planet, it's not in any danger. Its whether it's going to be habitual for humans that's in question. The planet managed for hundreds of million years without us, it'll manage much better once we're gone.

We're taking out quite a few blameless species , and ecosystems with us though.

They didn't sign up for destruction.

Nor did large chunks of the current population, and doubtless the majority of those to come.

They'd probs prefer that we had a slightly less 'whatevs, were all gonna die anyhow' approach to the whole affair.??

Top Bottom