Stupid things we all must have done

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
While refurbishing my Raleigh Trent, tired and suffering from a bad cold and not in the best of form, I built the bottom bracket with the spindle in the wrong way round and sat wondering why the chainwheel was rubbing the chainstay when it had been fine before I took it apart....DOH!

Why was it? Stop the suspense.^_^

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
I always work in the garage even when it's sunny. As I lost a couple of nuts and bolts into the gravel in front of the garage one hot day a few years ago. I can't remember what I was fitting probably a set of mudguards and had to search to find a couple of odd bits from my odds and sods collection.
I've since bought a box of current sized nuts, bolts and washers too. I've also put a bit of old carpet down to stop bits bouncing and rolling out of sight.

Karlt

Decided rear cable needed replacing so pulled it straight out of the holes in the frame where it's internally routed...

jay clock

Massive member
Went to replace the rear brake cable on a 105 shifter. Nipple was jammed so I pulled and twisted it with fine pliers for about 30 mins until I wrenched it out leaving a tangled mess of frayed cable inside with the plan to pull the cable out from the rear. Only to find I had been attacking the front shifter and the cable was firmly attached to the caliper, so no great surprise that it wouldn't budge.... oopsie

screenman

Legendary Member
Riding a 65 inch 10 on a fixed I had not rode before and only finished building the day before. It was only as I was about 8 feet off the ground as I crossed the finish line at speed that I realised I should not have stopped pedalling. That one hurt.

GetAGrip

Still trying to look cool and not the fool HA
Having cleaned all the bikes the previous day, the kids staying with us during one half term holiday decided we would take the bikes down the road to the Tarka trail for a sunny morning ride.
Did all the checks with the kids on their bikes, brakes, tyres, etc. Then proceeded to lead us all down the hill to join the main road which leads to the track.
Only when I tried to feather the brakes on the approach to the junction did I realise I didn't have any :eek:. I took out the toes of my 2 month old bike shoes and slightly buckled my front wheel coming to an abrupt halt when I took aim at an outreach green box about 10 yards from the junction. I forgot to check over my own bike, so didn't notice I hadn't pushed the calliper levers back down after cleaning it :blush:

MattDB

Über Member
Removed and regreased bottom bracket replaced and gears were all out. Spent the day making crank bolts impossibly tight before realising there was a L and a R printed on the BB.

Top Bottom